Profession ICT system administrator
IT systems administrators install, configure, and support an organisation's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), and Internet system or a segment of a network system. Maintain network hardware and software. Monitor network to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Investigative / Realistic
Tasks ict system administrator
- Diagnose hardware and software problems and replace faulty components.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software and all configurations.
- Plan, coordinate and implement network security measures to protect data, software and hardware.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
- Design, configure and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Confer with network users about how to solve existing system problems.
Related professions hardware, network
- Computer hardware technician
- Computer network technician
- Computer systems technician
- Data communication lines or cables installer
- IT computer repairer
- IT hardware engineer
- IT hardware testing technician
- IT network specialist
- IT operations technician
- Statistical data manager
- Organisational policies
The policies to achieve set of goals and targets regarding the development and maintenance of an organisation.
- ICT infrastructure
The system, network, hardware and software applications and components, as well as devices and processes that are used in order to develop, test, deliver, monitor, control or support ICT services.
- Hardware components
The essential components that make up a hardware system, such as liquid-crystal displays (LCD), camera sensors, microprocessors, memories, modems, batteries and their interconnections.
- Quality assurance methodologies
Quality assurance principles, standard requirements, and the set of processes and activities used for measuring, controlling and ensuring the quality of products and processes.
- ICT system user requirements
The process intended to match user and organisation's needs with system components and services, by taking into consideration the available technologies and the techniques required to elicit and specify requirements, interrogating users to establish symptoms of problem and analysing symptoms.
- Software components libraries
The software packages, modules, web services and resources that cover a set of related functions and the databases where these reusable components can be found.
- ICT system programming
The methods and tools required to develop system software, specifications of system architectures and interfacing techniques between network and system modules and components.
- Support ICT system users
Communicate with end users, instruct them on how to progress with tasks, use ICT support tools and methods to solve problems and identify possible side effects and provide solutions.
- Interpret technical texts
Read and understand technical texts that provide information on how to perform a task, usually explained in steps.
- Solve ICT system problems
Identify potential component malfunctions. Monitor, document and communicate about incidents. Deploy appropriate resources with minimal outage and deploy appropriate diagnostic tools.
- Monitor system performance
Measure system reliability and performance before, during and after component integration and during system operation and maintenance. Select and use performance monitoring tools and techniques, such as special software.
- Maintain ICT system
Select and apply system and network monitoring techniques. Identify and fix operational problems. Ensure that system's capabilities and efficiency match company specifications.
- Apply ICT system usage policies
Follow written and ethical laws and policies regarding proper ICT system usage and administration.
- Manage system testing
Select, perform and track testings on software or hardware to detect system defects both within the integrated system units, the inter-assemblages and the system as a whole. Organise testings such as installation testing, security testing and graphical user interface testing.
- Manage changes in ICT system
Plan, realise and monitor system changes and upgrades. Maintain earlier system versions. Revert, if necessary, to a safe older system version.
- Manage system security
Analyse the critical assets of a company and identify weaknesses and vulnerabilities that lead to intrusion or attack. Apply security detection techniques. Understand cyber attack techniques and implement effective countermeasures.
- Implement ICT recovery system
Create, manage and implement ICT system recovery plan in case of crisis in order to retrieve information and reacquire use of the system.
- Integrate system components
Select and use integration techniques and tools to plan and implement integration of hardware and software modules and components in a system. Apply specific testing techniques to ensure integrity during system integration.
- Apply system organisational policies
Implement internal policies related to the development, internal and external usage of technological systems, such as software systems, network systems and telecommunications systems, in order to achieve a set of goals and targets regarding the efficient operations and growth of an organisation.
- Administer ICT system
Handle components of ICT system by maintaining configuration, managing users, monitoring resource use, performing backups and installing hardware or software in order to ensure that the system meets the set requirements.
- Perform backups
Implement backup procedures to backup data and systems to ensure permanent and reliable system operation. Execute data backups in order to secure information by copying and archiving to ensure integrity during system integration and after data loss occurrence.
- Provide technical documentation
Prepare documentation for existing and upcoming products or services, describing their functionality and composition in such a way that it is understandable for a wide audience without technical background and compliant with defined requirements and standards. Keep documentation up to date.
- Migrate existing data
Apply migration and conversion methods for existing data, in order to transfer or convert data between formats, storage or computer systems.