Beauticians carry out various beauty treatments and give advice to clients, e.g. on skin and body care.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Artistic / Enterprising
- Discuss clients' requirements and carry out skin analysis.
- Prepare treatment plans for clients.
- Perform facial treatments, e.g. apply creams, lotions and masks, perform facial massage, tint eyelashes and eyebrows, apply make-up, etc.
- Perform body treatments, e.g. perform body massage, UV or spray tanning, hydrotherapy, body hair removal, etc.
- Perform cosmetic hand, nail and foot treatments (e.g. manicures, pedicures, nail extensions).
- Perform specialist treatments, e.g. acne treatment, electro-therapy, skin rejuvenation therapies, camouflage treatments, electrolysis, etc.
- Advise clients, e.g. on skin care, make-up, nutrition, exercise programmes, etc.
- Recognize problems and refer clients to medical practitioners.
- Sell and give advice on cosmetic products and services.
- Maintain client records.
- Perform reception duties, e.g. schedule appointments, answer the telephone, order supplies and operate cash register to receive payments.
- Keep the salon, work station and tools clean and tidy.
Related professions hair, beauty, cosmetics
- Make-up artist
- Make-up techniques
The various techniques and tools for applying make-up.
The various types of substances used to enhance the appearance of the human body.
- Cosmetic skin treatment
The aesthetic care of the skin, such as facials, including exfoliation, facial masks, peels, steam, and extraction.
- Cosmetics ingredients
Variety of sources coosmetics are composed of ranging from crushed insects to rust.
- Cosmetics industry
Suppliers, products and brands in the cosmetic industry.
- Perform body wrapping
Wrap customers with plastic, mud or thermal blankets for de-stressing, rebalancing, firming skin, detoxicating and reducing cellulite.
- Advise customers on usage of cosmetics
Provide advice to customers on how to apply various cosmetic products such as lotions, powders, nail polish or creams.
- Identify customer's needs
Use appropriate questions and active listening in order to identify customer expectations, desires and requirements according to product and services.
- Maintain equipment
Regularly inspect and perform all required activities to maintain the equipment in functional order prior or after its use.
- Maintain customer service
Keep the highest possible customer service and make sure that the customer service is at all times performed in a professional way. Help customers or participants feel at ease and support special requirements.
- Perform facial treatment
Perform all kinds of treatments to improve the health and attractiveness of the facial skin, such as facial masks, scrubs, eyebrow tinting, peels, hair removal and make-up.
- Determine skin type
Determine what type of skin a person has in order to use the right make-up for that particular skin type.
- Work ergonomically
Apply ergonomy principles in the organisation of the workplace while manually handling equipment and materials.
- Test make-up
Perform routine tests to determine if make-up products are adequate.
- Give massages
Provide clients with head, hand, neck, facial or full body massages.
- Use hair removal techniques
Use techniques and handle tools to remove hair from body parts, such as electrolysis, IPL, waxing, lasering, threading or plucking.