Building architects plan and develop designs for the construction and renovation of commercial, institutional, industrial and residential buildings.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Artistic / Investigative
- Consult with clients and other relevant parties (such as landscape architects or planning authorities) to obtain relevant information, for example on costs and functional and spatial requirements.
- Conduct feasibility studies and financial analyses of building projects.
- Conceptualize, create and develop designs for construction and renovation of buildings and other structures.
- Design landscape around buildings.
- Prepare sketches, scale drawings, models, etc., for example using computer-aided design (CAD) equipment.
- Prepare work plans for construction projects.
- Coordinate and administer construction projects.
- Represent clients in obtaining bids and awarding construction contracts.
- Prepare or supervise the preparation of contract documents and specifications.
- Observe, inspect and monitor building work.
- Evaluate projects.
- Give advice on other construction designs, e.g. with regard to building law and architectural style.
Related professions building, construction
- Building repairer
- Building wrecker
- Construction block mason
- Construction company manager
- Construction contractor
- Construction designer
- Construction operative
- Construction or building inspector
- Construction work planner
- Fence erector
- First line supervisor construction workers
- Glass decorating sandblaster
- House builder
- Insulation worker
- Iron worker
- Kit worker
- Prefabricated buildings erector
- Project manager civil engineering
- Project manager construction
- Quantity surveyor
- Town planner
- Building codes
The set of guidelines that determine the minimum standards for buildings and other constructions in order to protect public health and safety.
- Architectural design
The branch of architecture that strives for balance and harmony in the elements of a construction or architectural project.
- Architectural theory
The principles underlying the various theories pertaining to architecture. The relationship between buildings and society, and the relationship between art and architecture. The theories surrounding the architect's position in culture and society.
- Relationship between buildings, people and the environment
Understand the relationships and the interactions between people, buildings, and the environment in order to adapt architectural works to the human needs.
- Zoning codes
The division of land into zones where various uses and activities are allowed, such as residential, agricultural, and industrial activities. These zones are regulated by legislative procedures and local authorities.
- Architecture regulations
The regulations, statutes, and legal agreements existing in the European Union in the field of architecture.
- Urban planning
Political and technical process that seeks to design the urban environment and optimize land use by considering various aspects such as infrastructure, water, and green and social spaces.
- Execute feasibility study
Perform the evaluation and assessment of the potential of a project, plan, proposition or new idea. Realise a standardised study which is based on extensive investigation and research to support the process of decision making.
- Satisfy technical requirements
Take into consideration technical requirements coming from the clients or from the engineers in order to integrate them into the design.
- Conduct field work
Conducts field work or research which is the collection of information outside of a laboratory or workplace setting. Visit places in order to collect specific information about the field.
- Draw blueprints
Draw layout specifications for machinery, equipment and building structures. Specify which materials should be used and the size of the components. Show different angles and views of the product.
- Provide cost benefit analysis reports
Prepare, compile and communicate reports with broken down cost analysis on the proposal and budget plans of the company. Analyse the financial or social costs and benefits of a project or investment in advance over a given period of time.
- Interpret technical requirements
Analyse, understand and apply the information provided regarding technical conditions.
- Identify customer's needs
Use appropriate questions and active listening in order to identify customer expectations, desires and requirements according to product and services.
- Use CAD software
Use computer-aided design (CAD) systems to assist in the creation, modification, analysis, or optimisation of a design.
- Satisfy aesthetic requirements
Satisfy aesthetic requirements and create a design that is in line with what is expected of you in terms of visuals and artistry.
- Advise on building matters
Provide advice on building matters to the various parties involved in construction projects. Bring to their awareness important building considerations and consult on construction budgets.
- Identify necessary human resources
Determine the number of employees needed for the realisation of a project and their allocation in the creation, production, communication or administration team.
- Design spatial layout of outdoor areas
Design the spatial layout and functional and architectural appearance of outdoor areas. Integrate green spaces, social spaces, and regulatory aspects in outdoor design.
- Integrate building requirements of clients in the architectural design
Interpret clients’ requirements for building projects and integrate them into the design of the construction while considering feasibility and budget constraints.
- Write an architectural brief
Draft a brief that discusses the requirements of the client. This brief outlines design specifications and instructions as to what is expected of the architect such as costs, technique, aesthetic, social and environmental contexts, and time frame.
- Apply safety measures
Perform tasks and operations taking into account the safety regulations and standards and applying them in order to prevent incidents or hazards.
- Create architectural sketches
Create architectural sketches for the design and detail specifications of interiors and exteriors to scale.
- Develop architectural plans
Draft a master plan for building sites and landscape plantings. Prepare detailed development plans and specifications in accordance with applicable laws. Analyse private development plans for their accuracy, appropriateness, and compliance with laws.
- Consider building constraints in architectural designs
Conceive the different types of constraints faced in architecture and building projects, including budgetary, time, labour, material, and natural constraints.
- Meet building regulations
Communicate with construction inspection, e.g. by submitting schemes and plans, to make sure all construction regulations, laws and codes are dealt with correctly.
- Integrate engineering principles in architectural design
Integrate engineering principles in architectural design under the guidance of engineers from different fields. Integrate electrical, civil, etc. engineering in architectural drafting.
- Design buildings
Design buildings and housing projects in cooperation with communities, clients, and other professionals.
- Integrate measures in architectural designs
Integrate measurements, taken at sites or included in the project, into the design and drafting of architectural projects. Integrate considerations such as fire safety, acoustics, and building physics.
- Perform field research
Participate in field research and evaluation of state and private lands and waters.
- Analyse problems for opportunities
Identify and anticipate problems in order to choose a course of action, come up with appropriate solutions or even identify opportunities for further development.
- Design open spaces
Design social areas and open spaces working in cooperation with communities, clients and other professionals.
- Negotiate with stakeholders
Negotiate compromises with stakeholders and strive to reach the most beneficial agreements for the company. May involve building relationships with suppliers and customers, as well as ensuring products are profitable.
Optional knowledge and skillsadapt existing designs to changed circumstances manage contracts carry out tendering communicate with local residents advise customers on building materials communicate with construction crews construction legal systems develop professional network project management finish project within budget architectural conservation strive for harmonious architectural constructions zero-energy building design topography provide technical expertise building materials industry mathematics historic architecture advise legislators prepare lesson content engineering principles provide lesson materials develop a specific interior design fine arts use specialised design software cartography assess environmental impact energy performance of buildings make architectural mock-ups monitor parameters' compliance in construction projects landscape architecture ensure compliance with construction project deadline oversee construction project liaise with local authorities participate in governmental tenders energy efficiency furniture wood types prepare building permit applications furniture trends follow work schedule physics
Common job titles
- Intern architect
- Architect & intern architect
- Architectural designer
- Architect ***amended
- Junior architect
- Design architect - splunk & netapp
- Construction and facilities manager - work remotely. u.s. travel up to 40%
- Architectural drafter