Profession general practitioner
General practitioner gp's diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases and injuries that commonly occur in the general population.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Investigative / Social
Tasks general practitioner
- Examine patient to determine the nature of disorder or illness, and record patient's medical information into his or her medical file.
- Maintain and record patient medical information, such as medical history.
- Provide overall care for patients and prescribe and administer treatments, medications and other remedial measures.
- Refer patients to other specialists and exchange relevant medical information with the specialists.
- Arrange for patients to be admitted to hospital.
- Assist in the prevention of diseases and disorders by advising patients on diet, exercise, hygiene and general health .
- Order, perform and analyse laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic images and procedures.
- Provide prenatal and postnatal care.
- Report births, deaths and notifiable diseases to government authorities.
Related professions medical specialist
- Company doctor
- Dentist, dentist surgeon
- Hospital manager
- Hygienist, health officer
- Manager, all other health services
- Medical practitioner, all other specialists
- Optical specialist
- Plastic surgeon
- Skin specialist
- Provide healthcare services to patients in general medical practice
In the exercise of the medical doctor's profession, provide healthcare services to patients in order to assess, maintain and restore patients' state of health.
Optional knowledge and skillsprovide care for a patient group with specific characteristics contribute to education in medicine conduct health related research manage a multidisciplinary team involved in patient care manage a healthcare unit budget employ foreign languages for health-related research employ foreign languages in care
Common job titles
- General family practitioner
- Director, physician assistant
- Mental health practitioner
- Physicians assistant/ nurse practitioner
- Family practice nurse practitioner - chandler, az (cigna medical group)
- Clinical nurse practitioner - general primary care
- Nurse practitioner general surgery (acute care)
- Medical director-tb refugee md or pa/np
- Quality improvement consultant i (tx- remote)
- Nurse practitioner/ annual salary 110k-115k