Hairdressers wash, cut, colour, style and treat hair.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Conventional
- Artistic / Enterprising
- Discuss client's requirements and analyze their hair and other relevant physical features to define the desired hair style.
- Shampoo, condition and rinse client's hair with water, liquid soap or other solutions.
- Cut, trim and shape hair to achieve the desired style, e.g. using scissors, comb, clippers, trimmers and razors.
- Bleach, colour, perm or straighten hair using various chemical products, and make sure the products are used and stored correctly.
- Style hair e.g. by combing, brushing, blow-drying, straightening, curling or waving.
- Provide basic treatment for minor hair and scalp problems.
- Demonstrate and sell hair care products, and advise clients on hair care.
- Maintain client records.
- Perform reception duties, e.g. schedule appointments, answer the telephone, order supplies and operate cash register to receive payments.
- Keep the salon, work station and tools clean and tidy.
- Keep up-to-date with new products, styles and techniques.
- Train and supervise other hairdressers or assistants.
Related professions hair, beauty, cosmetics
- Beauty therapist
- Make-up artist
- Slimming consultant
- Hair products
The qualities and applications of various styling products used on different types of hair, such as curling creams, hairspray, shampoos, and conditioners.
- Hair colouring
The theory and practice of colouring a hairstyle and various process steps and types such as bleaching, highlights, and balayage.
Human hair, its composition and interaction with various chemicals, environment factors and health issues.
- Maintain equipment
Regularly inspect and perform all required activities to maintain the equipment in functional order prior or after its use.
- Identify customer's needs
Use appropriate questions and active listening in order to identify customer expectations, desires and requirements according to product and services.
- Curl hair
Curl a person's hair using the appropriate techniques and products.
- Satisfy customers
Communicate with customers and make them feel satisfied.
- Use equipment for hair care
Use tools to cut, trim or shave hair, such as scissors, clippers, razors and combs.
- Dye hair
Dye hair using a special solution to change its colour.
- Wash hair
Use shampoo to clean clients' hair and scalp, use hair conditioners to create volume or make hair more smooth and shiny and afterwards dry the hair with a blow dryer or a towel.
- Work ergonomically
Apply ergonomy principles in the organisation of the workplace while manually handling equipment and materials.
- Maintain customer service
Keep the highest possible customer service and make sure that the customer service is at all times performed in a professional way. Help customers or participants feel at ease and support special requirements.
- Show social competences
Ability to interact effectively with other people.
- Stay up-to-date with fashion trends in hair style
Keep abreast of current and future fashion trends, especially in hair styles.
- Process payments
Accept payments such as cash, credit cards and debit cards. Handle reimbursement in case of returns or administer vouchers and marketing instruments such as bonus cards or membership cards. Pay attention to safety and the protection of personal data.
- Style hair
Style a person's hair using the appropriate techniques and products.
- Advise on hair style
Make recommendations to customers about suitable hair styles, based on their preferences and your own professional judgment.
Optional knowledge and skillstreat facial hair sell hair products design hair style manage schedule of tasks order supplies monitor stock level manage a small-to-medium business issue sales invoices maintain relationship with suppliers offer cosmetic beauty advice maintain wigs maintain professional administration organise product display train employees treat scalp conditions help customers with hair problems supervise staff recommend cosmetics to customers administer appointments maintain work area cleanliness apply hair cutting techniques
Common job titles
- Hair stylist - wallingford
- Hairdresser/ stylist/blow out specialist
- Social work assistant
- Hair stylist - the bulls-eye
- Hair stylist - heritage trace
- Retail key holder pt - st. petersburg, fl - 1125
- Hair stylist - crabapple kroger
- Professional hairstyling assistant
- Hair stylist - saddlebrook
- Hair stylist - power & mcdowell