Judges arbitrate, advise, adjudicate, or administer justice in a court of law.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Investigative
- Enterprising / Social
- Look for and analyze evidence in a case.
- Preside over hearings and listen to allegations made by plaintiffs to determine whether the evidence supports the charges.
- Interpret and enforce rules of procedure or establish new rules in situations where there are no procedures already established by law.
- Check that the evidence presented in the case was collected in accordance with the law.
- Monitor proceedings to ensure that all applicable rules and procedures are followed.
- Advise relevant parties, e.g. attorneys, juries, litigants and court personnel regarding conduct, issues and proceedings.
- Determine a sentence based on all evidence and the law.
- Prepare the sentence evaluation.
- Organize and follow up the execution of the sentence.
- Research legal issues and write opinions on the issues.
Related professions courts of justice
- Court clerk
- Law clerk
- Legal terminology
The special terms and phrases used in the field of law.
- Civil law
The legal rules and their applications used in disputes between different parties.
- Civil process order
The legal procedures and standards that courts follow in civil lawsuits.
- Court procedures
The regulations which are in place during the investigation of a court case and during a court hearing, and of how these events occur.
- Hear legal arguments
Hear legal arguments presented during a court hearing or other context in which legal cases are handled and decided upon, in a manner which provides both sides equal opportunity to present their arguments, and making a decision based on the arguments in an honest and impartial manner.
- Observe confidentiality
Observe the set of rules establishing the nondisclosure of information except to another authorised person.
- Show responsibility
Accept responsibility and be accountable for professional decisions of yourself or others as part of a job or one's role.
- Interpret law
Interpret the law during the investigation of a case in order to know the correct procedures in handling the case, the specific status of the case and the parties involved, the possible outcomes, and how to present the best arguments for the most favourable outcome.
- Show impartiality
Perform duties for disputing parties or clients based on objective criteria and methods, disregarding prejudice or bias, to make or facilitate objective decisions and outcomes.
- Supervise court hearings
Supervise the procedures during a court hearing to ensure they are compliant with regulations, occur in an orderly and honest manner, and to ensure that no moral or ethical boundaries are crossed during questioning or the presentation of legal arguments.
- Maintain court order
Maintain the order of a court during a hearing to ensure that the hearing can occur without obstructions and intrusions, to ensure that all present follow courtroom procedural policies, and to ensure safety.
Optional knowledge and skillsapply knowledge of human behaviour contract law legal case management write work-related reports show confidence advise on legal decisions family law criminal law hear witness accounts legal research present legal arguments guide jury activities authenticate documents law enforcement juvenile detention support juvenile victims compile legal documents present arguments persuasively handle conflicts ensure sentence execution communicate with jury show empathy make legal decisions supervise legal case procedures facilitate official agreement review trial cases promote the safeguarding of young people respond to enquiries criminology think analytically analyse legal evidence correctional procedures moderate in negotiations
Common job titles
- Administrative law judge - pool (full-time & pro tem)
- Records assistant
- Administrative law judge
- Specialized docket coordinator
- Municipal court clerk i
- Field researcher/interviewer/driver
- Support services manager (rep20)
- Family assessment specialist
- Writing assistant/researcher