Lawyers represent clients in criminal and civil litigation and other legal proceedings, draw up legal documents, and manage or advise clients on legal transactions.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Investigative
- Advise clients on legal issues, such as claim liability, advisability of prosecuting or defending lawsuits, or legal rights and obligations.
- Examine legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuits.
- Prepare legal advice for individuals and businesses by interpreting laws, rulings and regulations.
- Draw up legal documents and certificates necessary for trial procedures.
- Present and summarise cases to relevant parties, e.g. judges and juries.
- Evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments in preparation for case presentation.
- Meet clients to confer about case proceedings.
- Gather evidence to formulate defence or to initiate legal action by e.g. interviewing clients and witnesses to ascertain the facts of the case.
- Represent clients in court or before government agencies.
- Assist clients after the case has been ruled.
Related professions courts of justice
- Court clerk
- Law clerk
- Court procedures
The regulations which are in place during the investigation of a court case and during a court hearing, and of how these events occur.
- Legal case management
The procedures of a legal case from opening to closing, such as the documentation that needs to be prepared and handled, the people involved in different stages of the case, and the requirements that need to be met before the case can be closed.
- Analyse legal evidence
Analyse evidence, such as evidence in criminal cases, legal documentation regarding a case, or other documentation that can be regarded as evidence, in order to obtain a clear image of the case and reach resolutions.
- Interpret law
Interpret the law during the investigation of a case in order to know the correct procedures in handling the case, the specific status of the case and the parties involved, the possible outcomes, and how to present the best arguments for the most favourable outcome.
- Present arguments persuasively
Present arguments during a negotiation or debate, or in written form, in a persuasive manner in order to obtain the most support for the case the speaker or writer represents.
- Protect client interests
Protect the interests and needs of a client by taking necessary actions, and researching all possibilities, to ensure that the client obtains their favoured outcome.
- Negotiate in legal cases
Negotiate on the client's behalf during the treatment of a legal case in order to obtain the most beneficial outcome for the client, and to ensure that all decisions are compliant with legal regulations.
- Negotiate lawyer's fee
Negotiate compensation for legal services in or out of court, such as hourly or flat-rate fees, with clients.
- Observe confidentiality
Observe the set of rules establishing the nondisclosure of information except to another authorised person.
- Represent clients in courts
Assume the position of representation in behalf of clients in courtrooms. Present arguments and evidence in favour of the client in order to win the case.
- Respond to enquiries
Respond to enquiries and requests for information from other organisations and members of the public.
- Present legal arguments
Present legal arguments during a court hearing or during negotiations, or in written form after a trial concerning its outcome and sentence, in order to ensure the best possible outcomes for the client or to ensure the decision is followed. Present these arguments in a manner that is compliant with regulations and guidelines and adapted to the specifications of the case.
- Compile legal documents
Compile and collect legal documents from a specific case in order to aid an investigation or for a court hearing, in a manner compliant with legal regulations and ensuring records are properly maintained.
Optional knowledge and skillscriminal law anti-dumping law legislation in agriculture contract law government representation present evidence family law intellectual property law make legal decisions apply knowledge of human behaviour show responsibility identify clients' needs conduct research interview civil law comply with legal regulations employment law railway law trace financial transactions financial statements meet with clients for legal services legal department processes criminology maintain operational communications show empathy analyse enforceability hear witness accounts think analytically international trade rhetoric copyright legislation advise on legal compliance for participation in financial markets manage legal personal issues mergers and acquisitions securities constitutional law advise on legal decisions air transport law subsidiary operations business law law enforcement pharmaceutical legislation consumer law environmental legislation international law moderate in negotiations legal research road transport legislation handle evidence property law apply conflict management architecture regulations show confidence manage contracts assess financial viability analyse internal factors of companies media law develop professional network interpret financial statements detect financial crime ict security legislation customs law competition law apply technical communication skills joint ventures urban planning law commercial law food legislation education law corporate law road traffic laws provide legal advice on investments ensure law application use consulting techniques public auction procedures manage contract disputes social security law insolvency law civil process order consult with business clients legal terminology apply organisational techniques health care legislation document evidence tax legislation investigation research methods provide legal advice
Common job titles
- Corporate lawyer
- Day to day manager - music
- Associate attorney - 0-3 yrs experience - king of prussia, pa
- Associate attorney
- Associate attorney - 0-2 yrs experience - pittsburgh, pa
- Public outreach coordinator & editor
- Administrative assistant- human resources
- Assistant general counsel
- General litigation associate attorney
- Junior-level associate — individual negotiation and litigation