Profession midwifery professional
Midwifery professionals advise, support and control women during normal pregnancies and births.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Social / Investigative
Tasks midwifery professional
- Give advice and support to women during pre-conception (family planning), antenatal and postnatal periods.
- Provide care and management of pregnancy and birth, during and after the birth.
- Prescribe medicaments or medical examinations.
- Monitor the condition of the mother and foetus during pregnancy and throughout labor.
- Evaluate the progress and detects warning signs of abnormal or potentially abnormal pregnancies requiring referral to a medical practitioner
- Give advice and support to women on parenting skills, and babycare and feeding
- Supervise midwifery students, nursing professionals and other health care professionals
- Hold health education classes and seminars to promote mother and infant health
- Offer psychological support to pregnant women
- Coordinate maternity care and care given by other health care workers
- Promote non-intervention in normal childbirth
Related professions maternity care
- Maternity carer
- Midwifery associate professional