Profession ophthalmic optician
Opticians design, measure, fit, and adapt lenses and frames for client according to written optical prescription or specification.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Investigative / Social
Tasks ophthalmic optician
- Interpret optical prescriptions written, e.g.by optometrists or ophthalmologists.
- Measure clients' eyes, e.g. by subjective refraction or automatic measurement.
- Present the glasses to clients and help them to choose the right pair.
- Write optical prescriptions for clients and assemble the glasses.
- Advise clients on frames, lenses and other optical products.
- Shape lenses and eyewear correctness and comfort.
- Repair glasses and frames.
- Keep records of customer prescriptions, work orders, payments etc.
- Select, order and manage optical products, e.g. frames and sunglasses.
- Maintain and clean optical equipment and the store.
- Operate cash register.
Related professions paramedic health worker
- Ambulance driver (non paramedic)
- Contact lens specialist
- Dispensing opticians
- Emergency medical technician
- Health associate professional, all other
- Medical records or health information technician
- Occupational health or safety officer
- Paramedical practitioner, all other