Profession Seaman (armed forces)
Seamen, military operations crew members provide collective defence measures to protect their country's waters and other interests. They are employed by the Navy.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
Tasks seaman (armed forces)
- Train and exercise using various military equipment and tactics.
- Operate and maintain the ship's weapons, electronic systems and sensors.
- Operate the ship's communication systems.
- Stand watch for security, navigation or communications.
- Operate and maintain on-deck equipment and ship rigging.
- Operate hoists, cranes and winches to load cargo or set gangplanks.
- Handle lines to secure vessels to wharves or other ships.
- Attend fire fighting and damage control exercises.
- Attend crews painting and maintaining decks and sides of ships.
- Engage in peacekeeping operations and enforce ceasefire agreements.
- Provide aid in emergency situations, such as civil disorder, natural disasters and major accidents.