Profession agricultural scientist
Agricultural scientists study and provide assistance and advice on farm, forestry and fisheries management, including cultivation, fertilisation, harvesting, soil erosion and composition, disease prevention, nutrition, crop rotation and marketing. They develop techniques for increasing productivity, and study and develop plans and policies for land and fisheries management.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Social / Realistic
- Realistic / Investigative
Related professions agriculture
- Agricultural advisor
- Agricultural inspector
- Agricultural machinery installer
- Agricultural machinery mechanic
- Agricultural substitute
- Agricultural technician
- Arable farm helper, field crop or vegetable
- Arable farm helper, mixed crop
- Arable farm manager, field crop or vegetable
- Arable farm worker, field crop or vegetable
- Arable farmer, field crop or vegetable
- Arable farmer, mixed crop
- Arable farmer, mixed crop and animal
- First line supervisor tree or shrup crop farming workers
- Fruit, nut or tea picker
- Harvest hand
- Horticultural or nursery production manager
- Land clearer
- Motorised farm equipment operator
- Quality inspector agricultural products
- Subsistence crop farmer
- Subsistence mixed crop or livestock farmer
- Supervisor arable farm workers, field crop or vegetable
- Tree or shrub crop farm manager
- Tree or shrub crop farmer
- Tree or shrub crop helper
- Tree or shrup crop worker
- Vegetable picker
- Project management principles
Different elements and phases of project management.
- Environmental policy
Local, national and international policies dealing with the promotion of environmental sustainability and the development of projects which reduce negative environmental impact and improve the state of the environment.
- Project management
Understand project management and the activities which comprise this area. Know the variables implied in project management such as time, resources, requirements, deadlines, and responding to unexpected events.
- Livestock farming systems
The allocation of farming ressources in relation to livestock farming and husbandry systems.
- Environmental legislation in agriculture and forestry
Awareness on enviromental legislation, policies, principles relevant for agriculture and forestry. Awareness of the impact on the enviroment of local agricultural precedures and practices. Means to adjust the production to new enviromental regulations and policies.
- Advise on soil and water protection
Advise on the effects of soil and water management practices in controlling pollutant loss, nitrate leaching and reduce soil erosion.
- Provide advice to hatcheries
Assist managers in planning and developing changes to hatchery design and systems.
- Provide advice to farmers
Provide technical and economical advice in order to optimise the quality and production of agricultural products.
- Perform market research
Gather, assess and represent data about target market and customers in order to facilitate strategic development and feasibility studies. Identify market trends.
- Perform scientific research
Gain, correct or improve knowledge about phenomena by using scientific methods and techniques, based on empirical or measurable observations.
- Research livestock production
Collect and use the livestock production facts and the results of analysis as a input to scientific research. Research and keep up to date with any relevant developments in livestock production review and gather information to inform business decisions
- Educate on recycling regulations
Educate organisations and individuals on the correct procedures and legislation concerning the recycling of different types of waste in different types of containers, waste collection procedures, and on the sanctions following non-compliance to legislation.
- Provide livestock advice and guidance
Through observation and analysis on the farm, propose options, possible solutions, types and levels of advice required based on the customer's needs and by using appropriate techniques and methods.
- Make improvements to work activities
Make recommendations for improvements to work activities
- Report pollution incidents
When an incident causes pollution, examine the extent of the damage and what the consequences could be and report it relevant institution following pollution reporting procedures.
- Monitor the farm environmental management plan
Identify environmental designations and directives that relate to a given farm and incorporate their requirements in to the farm planning process. Monitor the implementation of the farm environmental management plan and review timescales.
- Advise on efficiency improvements
Analyse information and details of processes and products in order to advise on possible efficiency improvements that could be implemented and would signify a better use of resources.
- Create soil and plant improvement programmes
Develop and advise on implementation of soil health and plant nutrition programs.
- Report on environmental issues
Compile environmental reports and communicate on issues. Inform the public or any interested parties in a given context on relevant recent developments in the environment, forecasts on the future of the environment, and any problems and possible solutions.
Optional knowledge and skillsassess the necessity of new farming technologies manage fisheries projects ensure compliance with environmental legislation lead a team apply precision farming follow environmental protection standards consultation methods train employees comply with farm regulations evaluate employees work train staff on recycling programs inspect project regulations organic farming comply with legal regulations advise on irrigation projects
Common job titles
- Research associate ii: plant cell biology
- Molecular biology senior scientist
- Interdisciplinary scientist (rg-401/405/487/1320-11,12,13)
- Senior scientist - molecular/cellular biology
- Pathways internship student trainee (chemist)
- Materials scientist iii
- Hydrologic technician iii
- Geospatial image analysis research and development scientist
- Assistant/associate professor