Confectionery makers produce all kinds of confectionery by mixing sweeteners and other ingredients, shaping, baking and decorating.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Realistic / Artistic
- Determine confectionery types and quantities to be made, e.g. by examining production schedules.
- Order ingredients from wholesalers.
- Prepare ingredients (weigh, measure, mix, dissolve and boil in pans) according to recipes.
- Check batch consistency, e.g. using a stainless steel spatula or measuring equipment such as a refractometer.
- Shape mixture before baking.
- Load and unload mixture into and from ovens using tins and trays.
- Operate equipment, e.g. mixing machines, ovens and other equipment.
- Monitor the production process (e.g. control temperature and pressure in cookers) and make adjustments if necessary.
- Glaze or decorate with icing or cream.
- Sort and inspect finished or partly finished products.
- Check, clean and maintain the cleanliness of equipment and utensils to make sure health and safety regulations are met.
Related professions shopkeeper
- Greengrocer, fruit trader
- Pharmacist, pharmacy manager
- Shop keeper/supervisor supermarket
- Shopkeeper agricultural retail, pets and flowers
- Shopkeeper clothing, textile, leatherwear
- Shopkeeper construction equipments or components
- Shopkeeper consumer electronics, household equipment
- Shopkeeper drugstore
- Shopkeeper food, beverages, tobacco products
- Shopkeeper jewellery, luxury goods
- Shopkeeper newspapers, books, music, videos, games
- Shopkeeper sporting equipments, leisure products
- Shopkeeper, all other
- Chemical aspects of sugar
Chemical aspects and constitution of sugar to alter recipes and provide customers with experiences of pleasure.
- Bakery production methods
The bakery production methods used to make baked products such as leaven, unleaven, sour dough, and predough.
- Chemical aspects of chocolates
Chemical constitution of chocolate to alter recipes and provide customers with experiences of pleasure.
- Bakery ingredients
The raw materials and other ingredients used in baked goods.
- Nutrients of confectionery
Components and nutrients of confectionery products required to identify possible allergens.
- Bake goods
Perform all tasks for baking such as oven preparation and product loading, until the baked goods are discharged from it.
- Apply GMP
Apply regulations regarding manufacture of food and food safety compliance. Employ food safety procedures based on Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Enforce health and safety regulations for bread products
Monitor activities to ensure bread products are handled in accordance with safety and hygiene standards.
- Monitor coating specifications
Monitoring that specifications such as colour, shape, glaze, texture, weight, depth of coating are met.
- Coat food products
Cover the surface of the food product with a coating: a preparation based on sugar, chocolate, or any other product.
- Exert quality control to processing food
Ensure the quality of all factors involved in a food production process.
- Operate kneading of food products
Perform all kinds of kneading operations of raw materials, half-finished products and foodstuffs.
- Mould chocolate
Mould chocolate to make chocolate pieces that are of a certain shape. Pour liquid chocolate into a mould and let it harden.
- Produce confectionery from chocolate
Produce different kinds of confectionery from chocolate mass.
- Prepare bakery products
Make bakery products such as bread and pasta by preparing dough, using proper techniques, recipes and equipment to achieve ready bakery items, combining with other products if necessary.
- Bake confections
Bake cakes, tarts and confectioneries using ingredients such as flour, sugar, eggs, and butter or oil, with some varieties also requiring liquid such as milk or water and leavening agents such as yeast or baking powder. Add flavourful ingredients like fruit purées, nuts or extracts and numerous substitutions for the primary ingredients.
- Apply HACCP
Apply regulations regarding manufacture of food and food safety compliance. Employ food safety procedures based on Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Operate a heat treatment process
Apply heat treatment aimed at preparing and preserving half-finished or finished food products.
- Follow hygienic procedures during food processing
Ensure a clean working space according to hygienic standards in the food processing industry.
- Comply with food safety and hygiene
Respect optimal food safety and hygiene during preparation, manufacturing, processing, storage, distribution and delivery of food products.
- Monitor temperature in farinaceous processes
Monitor and control the temperature in the different phases of farinaceous processes such as fermentation, proofing, and baking. Adhere to specifications or recipes.
- Care for food aesthetic
Convey presentation and aesthetic elements into the production of food. Cut products properly, manage right quantities into the product, care for the attractiveness of the product.
- Apply requirements concerning manufacturing of food and beverages
Apply and follow national, international, and internal requirements quoted in standards, regulations and other specifications related with manufacturing of food and beverages.
- Create new recipes
Combine innovative and creative ideas to come up with new recipes and preparations to extend the product of range of a company. Make modifications to recipes in order to enhance taste, reach productivity goals, develop and improve products.
- Maintain food specifications
Preserve, review, and evaluate existing food specifications such as recipes.
- Operate mixing of food products
Perform all kinds of mixing operations of raw materials, half-finished products and foodstuffs.
- Manufacturing of confectionery
Managing the development and production of bakers' confectionery, also called flour confections, including pastries, cakes, and similar baked goods.
- Monitor temperature in manufacturing process of food and beverages
Monitor and control required temperatures in the different phases of production until the product reaches suitable properties according to specifications.
- Temper chocolate
Heat and cool chocolate using marble slabs or machines in order to obtain the desired characteristics for different applications like shininess of the chocolate or the way it breaks.
- Ensure correct use of bakery equipment
Use the utensils, machinery and equipment for the production of bakery and farinaceous products such as kneading machines, proofing equipment, vessels, knives, baking ovens, slicers, wrappers, mixers, and glazers. Keep all tools in good condition.
- Select adequate ingredients
Select adequate ingredients based in their technological function to execute ideas. Strive for consistent good quality of the ingredients and use them adequately to obtain a satisfactory final product.
- Work according to recipe
Perform tasks in food preparation according to recipe or specification in order to preserve the quality of ingredients and to ensure replication accuracy of the recipe. Select the appropriate materials to follow the recipe, taking into account the current situation.
- Tend confectionery manufacturing equipment
Operate confectionery manufacturing and processing machinery such as boilers, baling presses, compressors, conveyor driven machinery, and storage silos, tanks and bins. They may also operate jar filling systems or wrapping machines.