Profession dental hygienist
Dental hygienists clean teeth and examine oral areas, head, and neck for signs of oral disease. May educate patients on oral hygiene, take and develop X-rays, or apply fluoride or sealants.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Social / Realistic
Tasks dental hygienist
- Perform dental assessment of patients, e.g. by examining gums for sores and signs of disease.
- Expose and develop dental x-rays.
- Clean teeth and gums, e.g. by removing deposits or stains and polishing teeth.
- Perform preventative dental procedures, such as fluoride treatments and applying sealants to fissures.
- Educate and advise patients on dental health, plaque control, oral hygiene and nutrition.
- Apply local anaesthetic for dental procedures.
- Make impressions of patients' mouths for the construction of study casts and mouth guards.
- Assist dentists with procedures and treatments, e.g. by polishing tooth restorations.
- Assist in the prevention and control of dental caries and gum disease.
- Apply and remove periodontal packs and assist in periodontal disease control.
- Report on patients' condition.
Related professions dental
- Dental assistant
- Dental prosthesis technician
- Apply organisational techniques
Employ a set of organisational techniques and procedures which facilitate the achievement of the set goals set such as detailed planning of personnel's schedules. Use these resources efficiently and sustainably, and show flexibility when required.
- Listen actively
Give attention to what other people say, patiently understand points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times; able to listen carefully the needs of customers, clients, passengers, service users or others, and provide solutions accordingly.
- Apply antibacterial substance to teeth
Apply preventive and prophylactic substances, such as sealants and fluoride, to the teeth according to the dentist`s directions and under the dentist` supervision.
- Ensure safety of healthcare users
Make sure that healthcare users are being treated professionally, effectively and safe from harm, adapting techniques and procedures according to the person's needs, abilities or the prevailing conditions.
- Respond to changing situations in health care
Cope with pressure and respond appropriately and in time to unexpected and rapidly changing situations in healthcare.
- Educate on oral healthcare and disease prevention
Educate patients on improving oral healthcare and preventing dental diseases, promoting brushing, flossing, and all other aspects of dental care according to the dentist`s directions and under the dentist`s supervision.
- Comply with legislation related to health care
Comply with the regional and national legislation that is relevant to one`s work and apply it in practice.
- Provide health education
Provide evidence based strategies to promote healthy living, disease prevention and management.
- Polish dental restorations
Maintain metal, gold and amalgam dental restorations by polishing in order to mitigate the effects of surface corrosion and maintain the esthetic appearance of the restoration according to the dentist`s directions and under the dentist`s supervision.
- Counsel on nutrition and its impact on oral health
Counsel patients about good nutrition and its impact on oral health.
- Work in a multicultural environment in health care
Interact, relate and communicate with individuals from a variety of different cultures, when working in a healthcare environment.
- Remove calculus, plaque and stains
Remove calculus, plaque, and stains from all surfaces of the teeth according to the dentist`s directions and under the dentist`s supervision.
- Empathise with the healthcare user
Understand the background of clients` and patients’ symptoms, difficulties and behaviour. Be empathetic about their issues; showing respect and reinforcing their autonomy, self-esteem and independence. Demonstrate a concern for their welfare and handle according to the personal boundaries, sensitivities, cultural differences and preferences of the client and patient in mind.
- Evaluate clinical outcomes of dental hygiene interventions
Evaluate the outcome of a dental hygiene intervention using indices, instruments, examination techniques, and feedback from the patient and others in order to improve patient health according to the directions and supervision of the dentist.
- Work in multidisciplinary health teams
Participate in the delivery of multidisciplinary health care, and understand the rules and competences of other healthcare related professions.
- Perform dental radiographs
Take and develop dental radiographs or x-rays for patients, by properly positioning the patient and film/image receptor to take intra- and extra-oral radiographs, applying all regulations for patient safety (shielding, operator protection, beam collimation).
- Interact with healthcare users
Communicate with clients and their carer’s, with the patient’s permission, to keep them informed about the clients’ and patients’ progress and safeguarding confidentiality.
- Deal with emergency care situations
Assess the signs and be well-prepared for a situation that poses an immediate threat to a person's health, security, property or environment.
- Deal with patients' anxiety
Recognise and handle the fears of patients undergoing a dental treatment.
- Develop a collaborative therapeutic relationship
Develop a mutually collaborative therapeutic relationship during treatment, fostering and gaining healthcare users' trust and cooperation.
- Contribute to continuity of health care
Contribute to the delivery of coordinated and continuous healthcare.
- Perform dental charting
Create a dental chart of the patient`s mouth in order to provide information on tooth decay, cavities, missing teeth, the depths of gum pockets, abnormalities in teeth such as rotations, erosion or abrasions in the teeth or enamel, damage to teeth, or the presence of prosthetic teeth according to the dentist`s directions and under the dentist`s supervision.
- Apply context specific clinical competences
Apply professional and evidence based assessment, goal setting, delivery of intervention and evaluation of clients, taking into account the developmental and contextual history of the clients, within one`s own scope of practice.
- Manage infection control in the facility
Implement a set of measures to prevent and control infections, formulating and establishing health and safety procedures and policies.
- Promote inclusion
Promote inclusion in health care and social services and respect diversity of beliefs, culture, values and preferences, keeping in mind the importance of equality and diversity issues.
- Follow clinical guidelines
Follow agreed protocols and guidelines in support of healthcare practice which are provided by healthcare institutions, professional associations, or authorities and also scientific organisations.
- Use e-health and mobile health technologies
Use mobile health technologies and e-health (online applications and services) in order to enhance the provided healthcare.
- Accept own accountability
Accept accountability for one`s own professional activities and recognise the limits of one`s own scope of practice and competencies.
- Communicate effectively in healthcare
Communicate effectively with patients, families and other caregivers, health care professionals, and community partners.
- Apply health sciences
Apply a broad range of bio-medical, psycho-social, organisational, educational, and societal aspects of health, disease, and healthcare to improve healthcare services and to improve quality of life.
- Promote health and safety policies in health services
Promote adherence to local, regional, national and EU Health and Safety legislation, policies, guidelines and protocols.
- Perform dental hygiene interventions
Intervene in dental hygiene to eliminate and control local etiologic factors, in order to prevent caries, periodontal diseases and other oral conditions, or control them when they occur according to the dentist`s directions and under the dentist`s supervision.
- Follow dentists' instructions
Work directly with dentists by following their detailed instuctions.