Profession dental technician
Dental prosthesis technicians construct and repair full or partial dentures or dental appliances.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Social / Realistic
Tasks dental technician
- Make, alter and repair appliances for patients with cleft palates, braces and plates for correcting irregular teeth and mouth guards.
- Create models of patient's mouth by pouring plaster into dental impression and allowing plaster to set.
- Melt metals or mix plaster, porcelain, or acrylic paste, and pour materials into moulds or over frameworks to form dental prostheses or apparatus.
- Prepare metal surfaces for bonding with porcelain to create artificial teeth, using small hand tools.
- Remove excess metal or porcelain, and polish surfaces of prostheses or frameworks using polishing machines.
- Load newly constructed teeth into porcelain furnaces to bake porcelain onto metal framework.
- Build and shape wax teeth, using small hand instruments and information from observations or dentists' specifications.
- Evaluate functionality of tooth model by positioning the model on apparatus that mimics bite and patient's jaw movement.
- Polish and finish appliance prior to it being placed in patient's mouth.
- Consult the work process file(s).
Related professions dental
- Dental assistant
- Dental hygienist
- Comply with legislation related to health care
Comply with the regional and national legislation that is relevant to one`s work and apply it in practice.
- Listen actively
Give attention to what other people say, patiently understand points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times; able to listen carefully the needs of customers, clients, passengers, service users or others, and provide solutions accordingly.
- Manufacture dental prostheses
Design and fabricate dental prosthesis or appliances such as space maintainers, crowns, veneers, bridges, and dentures, retainers, and labial and lingual arch wires.
- Contribute to continuity of health care
Contribute to the delivery of coordinated and continuous healthcare.
- Ensure safety of healthcare users
Make sure that healthcare users are being treated professionally, effectively and safe from harm, adapting techniques and procedures according to the person's needs, abilities or the prevailing conditions.
- Polish dental prostheses
Use finishing burrs and grinding equipment to grind, smooth, and polish dental prostheses.
- Examine dental models and impressions
Examine models and impressions of the patients` teeth in order to determine the design of dental products to be constructed.
- Communicate effectively in healthcare
Communicate effectively with patients, families and other caregivers, health care professionals, and community partners.
- Use e-health and mobile health technologies
Use mobile health technologies and e-health (online applications and services) in order to enhance the provided healthcare.
- Work in a multicultural environment in health care
Interact, relate and communicate with individuals from a variety of different cultures, when working in a healthcare environment.
- Test dental appliances for compliance
Examine dental appliances to make sure that they comply with specifications, using articulators and micrometres to test for accuracy of occlusion.
- Select materials for orthodontic appliances
Determine the appropriate materials for removable or permanent orthodontic appliances, paying attention to design and function as specified by prescription.
- Manipulate dental material
Manipulate materials used in dental procedures such as waxes, plastics, precious and non-precious alloys, stainless steel, porcelains and composites or polymer glass.
- Maintain laboratory dental tools
Maintain laboratory tools and equipment such as lathes, trimmers, grinders, articulators, and cleaning devices.
- Work in multidisciplinary health teams
Participate in the delivery of multidisciplinary health care, and understand the rules and competences of other healthcare related professions.
- Manage infection control in the facility
Implement a set of measures to prevent and control infections, formulating and establishing health and safety procedures and policies.
- Accept own accountability
Accept accountability for one`s own professional activities and recognise the limits of one`s own scope of practice and competencies.
- Follow clinical guidelines
Follow agreed protocols and guidelines in support of healthcare practice which are provided by healthcare institutions, professional associations, or authorities and also scientific organisations.
- Apply organisational techniques
Employ a set of organisational techniques and procedures which facilitate the achievement of the set goals set such as detailed planning of personnel's schedules. Use these resources efficiently and sustainably, and show flexibility when required.
- Follow dentists' instructions
Work directly with dentists by following their detailed instuctions.
- Respond to changing situations in health care
Cope with pressure and respond appropriately and in time to unexpected and rapidly changing situations in healthcare.
- Repair denture prostheses
Use the appropriate soldering and welding techniques to modify or repair components of removable and fixed denture prostheses.
- Promote inclusion
Promote inclusion in health care and social services and respect diversity of beliefs, culture, values and preferences, keeping in mind the importance of equality and diversity issues.