Profession environmental scientist
Environmental scientists identify problems and find solutions in order to minimize environmental hazards by performing analysis on samples such as air, water or soil. They advise on or develop environmental policies and aim to improve water supplies preservation and manage waste disposal sites. Environmental scientists perform environmental risk assessments and analyse the environmental impact of new solutions, construction sites or environmental changes ensuring the environmental regulations are followed.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Investigative / Realistic
Related professions research
- Market researcher
- Researcher agriculture, nature, animals, environment sciences
- Researcher computer sciences and mathematics
- Researcher economics, business and management sciences
- Researcher engineering, transport and logistic sciences
- Researcher health sciences
- Researcher humanities
- Researcher journalism, media and communication
- Researcher law and public administration
- Researcher leisure, hospitality and gastronomy
- Researcher natural and life sciences
- Researcher psychology, pedagogic subjects
- Researcher social work
- Researcher, all other subjects
- Statistical data manager
- Statistical technician
- University researcher
- Environmental legislation
The environmental policies and legislation applicable in a certain domain.
- Scientific research methodology
The theoretical methodology used in scientific research involving doing background research, constructing an hypothesis, testing it, analysing data and concluding the results.
- Environmental management monitors
The hardware and equipment suitable for measurement and live monitoring of environmental parameters.
Have a wide background of physics which is the natural science that involves the study of matter and its motion through space and time, along with related concepts such as energy and force.
- Pollution legislation
Be familiar with European and National legislation regarding the risk of pollution.
- Pollution prevention
The processes used to prevent pollution: precautions to pollution of the environment, procedures to counter pollution and associated equipment, and possible measures to protect the environment.
- Environmental policy
Local, national and international policies dealing with the promotion of environmental sustainability and the development of projects which reduce negative environmental impact and improve the state of the environment.
- Environmental threats
The threats for the environment which are related to biological, chemical, nuclear, radiological, and physical hazards.
- Manage environmental management system
Develop and implement an environmental management system.
- Assess groundwater environmental impact
Estimate environmental impact of groundwater abstraction and management activities.
- Conduct environmental site assessments
Manage and oversee environmental site prospection and assessments for mining or industrial sites. Designate and demarcate areas for geochemical analysis and scientific research.
- Conduct research before survey
Acquire information about property and its boundaries before the survey by searching legal records, survey records, and land titles.
- Implement environmental protection measures
Enforce environmental criteria to prevent environmental damage. Strive for the efficient use of resources in order to prevent waste and reduce costs. Motivate colleagues to take relevant steps to operate in an environmentally friendly manner.
- Perform environmental investigations
Perform environmental investigations as required, checking regulatory proceedings, possible legal actions or other types of complaint.
- Investigate pollution
Identify the cause of pollution incidents, as well as its nature and the extent of the risks, by performing tests on the site of pollution as well as in a laboratory and performing research.
- Advise on environmental risk management systems
Evaluate requirements and advise on systems for environmental risk management. Ensure the customer does his part in preventing or limiting adverse environmental impact through the use of technology. Ensure required licenses and permits are obtained.
- Analyse environmental data
Analyse data that interpret correlations between human activities and environmental effects.
- Use consulting techniques
Advise clients in different personal or professional matters.
- Advise on pollution prevention
Advise individuals and organisations on the development and implementation of actions which aid in the prevention of pollution and its related risks.
- Prepare visual data
Prepare charts and graphs in order to present data in a visual manner.
- Carry out environmental audits
Use equipment to measure various environmental parameters in order to identify environmental problems and investigate manners in which they can be resolved, perform inspections in order to ensure compliance with environmental legislation.
- Collect samples for analysis
Collect samples of materials or products for laboratory analysis.
- Develop environmental remediation strategies
Develop strategies for the removal of pollution and contaminants from soil, groundwater, surface water, or sediment, taking into account environmental remediation regulations and available technologies.
- Use technical drawing software
Create technical designs and technical drawings using specialised software.
- Conduct environmental surveys
Conduct surveys in order to collect information for analysis and management of environmental risks within an organisation or in a wider context.
- Ensure compliance with environmental legislation
Monitor activities and perform tasks ensuring compliance with standards involving environmental protection and sustainability, and amend activities in the case of changes in environmental legislation. Ensure that the processes are compliant with environment regulations and best practices.