Profession farm manager
Mixed crop farm managers plan, organise and coordinate the activities and resources of farming establishments cultivating arable crops.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Realistic
Tasks farm manager
- Plan farm strategy, targets, finances and production.
- Decide or advise on the kind of crops to be grown, and the area to be sown or planted.
- Purchase machinery, equipment and supplies, such as seed, fertiliser and chemicals.
- Plan the type, intensity and sequence of farm operations (e.g. determine the best time for planting, spraying and harvesting).
- Recruit, train, direct, coordinate and supervise staff.
- Maintain and monitor quality of produce, ensuring compliance with regulations.
- Establish market strategies, market and arrange for the sale of crops and other farm produce.
- Produce and maintain records of production and finances, and prepare financial and operational reports.
- Apply health and safety standards across the farm estate.
- Organize farm administration.
- Arrange the maintenance and repair of farm buildings, machinery and equipment.
- Perform practical farm work.
Related professions livestock
- Agricultural advisor
- Arable farmer manager, mixed crop
- Artificial inseminator
- Cattle breeder
- Cattle station helper
- Dairy producer
- Livestock breeder, all other
- Livestock dealer
- Livestock farm manager
- Livestock farm worker
- Livestock farmer
- Livestock machinery installer
- Livestock machinery mechanic
- Pig breeder
- Poultry producer
- Quality inspector cattle, meat, fish
- Subsistence livestock farmer
- Veterinarian inspector
- Veterinarian, all other
- Veterinary aid
- Veterinary practitioner
- Veterinary technician
- Veterinary vaccinator
- Agricultural business management
Understand business principles behind agricultural production and the marketing of its products.
- Agronomical production principles
The techniques, methods and principles of conventional agronomical production.
- Environmental policy
Local, national and international policies dealing with the promotion of environmental sustainability and the development of projects which reduce negative environmental impact and improve the state of the environment.
- Pollution prevention
The processes used to prevent pollution: precautions to pollution of the environment, procedures to counter pollution and associated equipment, and possible measures to protect the environment.
- Negotiate loan agreements
Negotiate with banking professionals or other parties functioning as lenders in order to negotiate the interest rates and other aspects of the loan contract in order to obtain the most beneficial agreement for the borrower.
- Supervise hygiene procedures in agricultural settings
Ensure that hygiene procedures in agricultural settings are followed, taking into account the regulations of specific areas of action e.q. livestock, plants, local farm products, etc.
- Operate farm equipment
Supervise the smooth running of farm equipment which can include high pressure cleaning equipment, heating or air conditioning and monitor the temperature of premises. Make sure tractors and other vehicles are running smoothly. Interpret instructions given by computer programs and report simple operations.
- Manage farm products
Manage the farm products by making contracts with customers and business partners to ensure the optimal production, taking into account the farms production plans and purpose.
- Assess the necessity of new farming technologies
Evaluate the development of new technologies and ideas and make decisions as to their use and appropriateness to a given farming situation.
- Manage production enterprise
Organise and instruct staff, plan production strategies and programmes including sales. Carry out input purchase orders, materials, equipment and manage stocks etc. Awareness of demands of the businesses customers and adjustments accordingly to plans and strategies. Estimate resources and control budget of enterprise applying business economics, production development and project management principles.
- Present the farm facilities
Perform customer adapted presentations of the farm organization and farm processes taking under consideration the farm sustainability and local environment.
- Manage farm supplies
Manage farm supplies by taking care of the purchase and storing procedures. Select and purchase supplies and equipment such as seeds, livestock feed, fertilisers and farm machinery.
- Market farm products
Market the products of the farm. Make sure that the product is ready for marketing and introduce the products to customers by using appropriate marketing methods.