Profession Fire fighter
Fire fighters respond to fire alarms and other emergency calls, control and extinguish fires, protect life and property and conduct rescue efforts.
Fire fighter Jobs: Open positions
Find the job of your dreams on Talent.com, one of the largest job sites worldwide.Job postings: talent.com
Tasks fire fighter
- Respond to fire alarms and other emergency calls, such as road accidents, rail and air crashes, industrial accidents, spillages of dangerous substances, bomb incidents and natural disasters.
- Dress with equipment such as fire resistant clothing and breathing apparatus, and drive or crew fire fighting vehicles to travel to incident sites.
- Search, rescue and evacuate people and animals from burning buildings, accident sites and other dangerous situations.
- Administer first aid and other medical assistance to injured persons.
- Control and extinguish fires using firefighting equipment, such as ladders, hose pipes, pumps, axes and fire extinguishing appliances.
- Assess fires and situations and report conditions to superiors to receive instructions, using e.g. radios.
- Salvage goods from damaged premises, and clean up, check and make safe the incident site, e.g. by removing dangerous chemical substances.
- Dive to locate and lift objects from under water.
- Carry out practice drills and take part in physical and other training.
- Inspect, clean and maintain firefighting equipment.
- Inform and educate the public on fire prevention.
Related professions fire brigade
- Fire inspector
- First line supervisor of fire fighters
Source: Sisyphus ODB