Profession fitness instructor
Fitness instructors lead, guide and instruct groups and individuals in fitness activities.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Social / Artistic
- Social / Realistic
- Enterprising / Conventional
Related professions sports
- Golf caddie
- Instructor, all other sports
- Outdoor adventure guide
- Professional sportsperson
- Recreation program worker for sports
- Ski instructor
- Sports agent
- Sports centre manager
- Sports coach, trainer
- Sports official
- Sports referee
- Swimming instructor
- Ticket collector
- Provide fitness customer care
Observe clients/members at all times and inform them where necessary about health and safety requirements and emergency procedures.
- Provide fitness customer service
Welcome clients/members, keep records and bookings of their activities, and direct them to other fitness instructors for technical assistance or to appropriate members of staff for guidance and support.
- Adapt fitness exercises
Suggest relevant exercise adaptations or options to allow for individual client differences or needs and provide participants with advice on intensity and how to progress their individual performance and results.
- Promote healthy lifestyle
Provide information to clients about the role of physical activity, modes of exercise and related services and the importance of healthy activities for daily living.
- Maintain the exercise environment
Help to provide a safe, clean and friendly fitness environment.
- Integrate exercise science to the design of the programme
Design movements and exercises according to the functions of the musculoskeletal system and biomechanical concepts. Develop programme according to physiological concepts, the cardio-respiratory and energy systems.
- Motivate fitness clients
Positively interact with and motivate fitness clients to participate in regular physical activity and promote fitness exercise as a part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Identify customer objectives
Identify individual motives resulting in short, medium and long term fitness goals.
- Collect client fitness information
Collect fitness information relating to individual clients; Identify client information which is to be collected and advise clients of correct procedures, protocols and risks prior to commencing physical assessment and exercising.
- Safely instruct about fitness
Provide safe and effective fitness instruction.
- Correct fitness customers
Observe customers who are exercising and suggest corrections and adaptations as necessary to ensure techniques and procedures (posture, range of motion, control, timing and form) are safe and effective.
- Promote fitness customer referral
Invite customers to bring friends and family along and promote their fitness activities in their social environment.
Common job titles
- Group exercise instructor
- Fitness manager
- Group fitness instructor
- Fitness instructor / trainer
- Part time personal trainer and group fitness instructor
- Fitness instructor/trainer - part time
- Fitness specialists wanted
- Fitness instructor