Profession Food scientist
Food science technicians perform (standardised) tests to determine the properties of food or beverage products. They may provide assistance to food scientists and technologists.
Food scientist Jobs: Open positions
Find the job of your dreams on Talent.com, one of the largest job sites worldwide.Job postings: talent.com
Tasks food scientist
- Clean, maintain and set up laboratory equipment.
- Collect and prepare samples.
- Conduct standardized tests on food, beverages, additives and preservatives, e.g. to ensure compliance with standards and regulations of colour, texture, nutrients, etc.
- Take measurements and readings, and compute product properties such as moisture or salt content, percentages of ingredients and formulas, e.g. using mathematical and chemical procedures.
- Record and compile test results, and prepare graphs, charts and reports.
- Analyze test results to classify products, or compare results with standard tables.
- Examine chemical and biological samples, using microscope, to identify cell structures, locate bacteria, etc.
- Taste or smell foods or beverages to ensure that flavors meet specifications or to select samples with specific characteristics.
- Mix, blend or cultivate ingredients, e.g. to make reagents or to manufacture food or beverage products.
- Measure, test and weigh bottles, cans and other containers, e.g. in order to ensure hardness, strength and compliance to specifications.
- Order laboratory supplies.
- Develop and adapt laboratory procedures, under the direction of scientists, following technical developments in the area.
Related professions food
- Bakery products machine operator
- Biscuit or cake maker
- Bread baker in manufacturing
- Cereal products machine operator
- Chewing-gum maker
- Chocolate maker
- Chocolate products machine operator
- Cocoa processing machine operator
- Coffee processing machine operator
- Confectionery maker (craft)
- Confectionery maker (manufacturing)
- Edible nut processing machine operator
- Edible oil production machine operator
- First line supervisor food manufacturing workers
- Flour process controller
- Grain- or spice-milling machine operator
- Hand packer
- Margarine processing machine operator
- Packing or labelling machine operator
- Pasta production machine operator
- Pie maker
- Pizza baker
- Quality inspector food (no meat or fish)
- Quality inspector grains, seeds
- Soft-drinks production machine operator
- Sugar production process controller
- Tea processing machine operator
- Vegetable processing machine operator
- Vinegar making machine operator
- Winemaking plant operator
- Yeast maker
Source: Sisyphus ODB