Profession food scientist
Food science technicians perform (standardised) tests to determine the properties of food or beverage products. They may provide assistance to food scientists and technologists.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Social / Realistic
- Realistic / Investigative
Tasks food scientist
- Clean, maintain and set up laboratory equipment.
- Collect and prepare samples.
- Conduct standardized tests on food, beverages, additives and preservatives, e.g. to ensure compliance with standards and regulations of colour, texture, nutrients, etc.
- Take measurements and readings, and compute product properties such as moisture or salt content, percentages of ingredients and formulas, e.g. using mathematical and chemical procedures.
- Record and compile test results, and prepare graphs, charts and reports.
- Analyze test results to classify products, or compare results with standard tables.
- Examine chemical and biological samples, using microscope, to identify cell structures, locate bacteria, etc.
- Taste or smell foods or beverages to ensure that flavors meet specifications or to select samples with specific characteristics.
- Mix, blend or cultivate ingredients, e.g. to make reagents or to manufacture food or beverage products.
- Measure, test and weigh bottles, cans and other containers, e.g. in order to ensure hardness, strength and compliance to specifications.
- Order laboratory supplies.
- Develop and adapt laboratory procedures, under the direction of scientists, following technical developments in the area.
Related professions food
- Bakery products machine operator
- Biscuit or cake maker
- Brand manager, product manager
- Bread baker in manufacturing
- Cereal products machine operator
- Chewing-gum maker
- Chocolate maker
- Chocolate products machine operator
- Cocoa processing machine operator
- Coffee processing machine operator
- Confectionery maker
- Confectionery maker (craft)
- Confectionery maker (manufacturing)
- Edible nut processing machine operator
- Edible oil production machine operator
- First line supervisor food manufacturing workers
- Flour process controller
- Grain- or spice-milling machine operator
- Hand packer
- Margarine processing machine operator
- Packing or labelling machine operator
- Pasta production machine operator
- Pie maker
- Pizza baker
- Quality inspector food (no meat or fish)
- Quality inspector grains, seeds
- Soft-drinks production machine operator
- Sugar production process controller
- Tea processing machine operator
- Vegetable processing machine operator
- Vinegar making machine operator
- Winemaking plant operator
- Yeast maker