Profession local police officer
Local police officers protect the public, detect and prevent crime and perform other activities directed at maintaining law and order.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Social
- Enterprising / Realistic
- Realistic / Enterprising
Tasks local police officer
- Patrol assigned areas in vehicles, on bicycles, horseback and on foot to maintain public safety and order, to watch for unusual activity and to enforce laws and regulations.
- Respond to calls or requests from the public to assist at incidents, such as criminal activity, domestic disputes and public disorder.
- Provide first aid to victims of accidents, crimes and natural disasters, and search for missing persons.
- Conduct initial investigations of complaints, crimes, accidents, any suspicious activities and other incidents.
- Gather and secure evidence from the crime scene.
- Interview suspects and victims and take statements from witnesses.
- Identify, pursue, search and arrest suspects and offenders, and execute warrants.
- Testify in court to present evidence or act as witness.
- Police large public events, concerts, processions, strikes and demonstrations.
- Escort, guard and protect prisoners, government officials, etc.
- Direct and control traffic and attend vehicle check points and traffic offences to enforce traffic laws regarding e.g. vehicle roadworthiness, drink-driving and speeding.
- Compile notes and crime reports, maintain records and carry out administrative tasks.
Related professions police
- First line supervisor of police inspectors or detectives
- First line supervisor of police officers
- Inquiry police agent
- National police officer
- Police inspector
- Police officer
- Regional police officer
- Road traffic police officer
- Transit, port or railroad police officer
- Underwater search and rescue diver