Profession office clerk
Office clerks perform a range of clerical and administrative tasks according to established procedures.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Conventional / Enterprising
Related professions support services (internal)
- Advertising clerk
- Advertising department manager
- Buyer agricultural products
- Buyer technical products
- Catering worker
- Cleaning supervisor
- Cost estimator
- Education administrator
- Financial department manager
- Human resources officer
- IT user support technician
- Land surveyor
- Logistics worker
- Marketing department manager
- Marketing professional
- Personnel department manager
- Personnel planning clerk
- Production or operations manager
- Public relations department manager
- Public relations officer, advisor
- Purchasing department manager
- Receptionist, telephonist
- Sales department manager
- Sales representative
- Sales representative agricultural products
- Sales representative technical products
- Sales representative, all other products
- Technical illustrator
- Transport clerk
- Transport scheduling clerk
- Writer of technical texts
- Information confidentiality
The mechanisms and regulations which allow for selective access control and guarantee that only authorised parties (people, processes, systems and devices) have access to data, the way to comply with confidential information and the risks of non-compliance.
- Company policies
The set of rules that govern the activity of a company.
- Handle delivered packages
Administer delivered packages and ensure that they all reach their destination in time.
- Prepare correspondence for customers
Draught, prepare and issue correspondence to customers informing about pending bills, merchandising communication, apology letters, or greeting mails.
- Communicate with customers
Respond to and communicate with customers in the most efficient and appropriate manner to enable them to access the desired products or services, or any other help they may require.
- Facilitate access to information
Prepare documents for archiving; ensure that the information can easily be accessed at all times.
- Process data
Enter information into a data storage and data retrieval system via processes such as scanning, manual keying or electronic data transfer in order to process large amounts of data.
- Process commissioned instructions
Process instructions, usually oral ones, provided by managers and directives on actions required to be made. Take note, inquire, and take action on the commissioned requests.
- Route correspondence to business departments
Classify incoming correspondence, select priority mails and packages, and distribute them in the different departments of the company.
- Disseminate internal communications
Disseminate internal communications using the different communication channels that a company has at its disposal.
- Align content with form
Align form and content to make sure they fit together.
- Use office systems
Make appropriate and timely use of office systems used in business facilities depending on the aim, whether for the collection of messages, client information storage, or agenda scheduling. It includes administration of systems such as customer relationship management, vendor management, storage, and voicemail systems.
- Deliver correspondence
Distribute mail correspondence, newspapers, packages and private messages to customers.
- Organise facilities for office personnel
Manage the booking schedule for conferences and meetings of internal or external nature. Shop around and book reservations for travelling or hosting for office personnel.
- Disseminate messages to people
Receive, process, and pass messages to people coming from phone calls, faxes, postal, and emails.
- Perform office routine activities
Program, prepare, and perform activities required to be performed everyday in offices such as mailing, receiving supplies, updating managers and employees, and keeping operations running smoothly.
- Communicate by telephone
Liaise via telephone by making and answering calls in a timely, professional and polite manner.
- Apply grammar and spelling rules
Apply the rules of spelling and grammar and ensure consistency throughout texts.
- Handle mail
Handle mail considering data protection issues, health and safety requirements, and specifications of different kinds of mail.
- Maintain correspondence records
Sort correspondence and attach previous records or files of correspondence with incoming mails.
- File documents
Create a filing system. Write a document catalogue. Label documents etc.
- Use different communication channels
Use various types of communication channels such as verbal, handwritten, digital and telephonic communication with the aim of constructing and sharing information and ideas.
- Fill out forms
Fill out forms of a different nature with accurate information, legible calligraphy, and within a timely manner.
- Organise business documents
Put together documents coming from the photocopier, the mail, or the daily operations of businesses.
Optional knowledge and skillsissue sales invoices ensure proper document management maintain internal communication systems maintain inventory of office supplies translate keywords into full texts draft corporate emails use software for data preservation respect data protection principles use free typing techniques digitise documents perform cleaning duties process customer orders serve beverages transcription methods monitor staff absences keep records of customer interaction accounting techniques manage digital archives use microsoft office carry out internet research communicate with customer service department
Common job titles
- Office assistant/clerk
- Ar - paris - office clerk - 40 hrs/wk; $10.92/hr
- General office worker
- Receptionist/office assistant
- Mail and copy center clerk
- Scanning clerk/ admin
- File clerk - full time
- Office assistant ii - extra help
- File clerk
- Court clerk