Receptionists receive and direct visitors and telephone calls, answer enquiries and provide basic information about the establishment.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Conventional / Enterprising
- Greet visitors, determine nature and purpose of their visit, and direct to appropriate persons or destinations.
- Record details of visitors and issue security passes if necessary.
- Answer, screen and forward calls, and take messages.
- Deal with enquiries, e.g. by providing basic information or brochures about the establishment, and record details of enquiries.
- Hear and handle complaints, e.g. from customers or the public.
- Make reservations, schedule appointments, and maintain appointment calendars.
- Receive payments and record receipts.
- Maintain the reception area, provide refreshments, and make sure that the employer's safety and security prodecures are followed at all times.
- Perform administrative support tasks such as proofreading, word processing, mail handling, banking, filing and maintaining pay records, invoices, balance sheets and other documents.
- Communicate with others in the establishment, e.g. to exchange relevant information.
Related professions reception, telephone
- Telephone switchboard operator
- Customer service
Processes and principles related to the customer, client, service user and to personal services; these may include procedures to evaluate customer's or service user's satisfaction.
- Company policies
The set of rules that govern the activity of a company.
- Communicate by telephone
Liaise via telephone by making and answering calls in a timely, professional and polite manner.
- Adhere to organisational guidelines
Adhere to organisational or department specific standards and guidelines. Understand the motives of the organisation and the common agreements and act accordingly.
- Use microsoft office
Possess the ability to work with the standard programs contained in Microsoft Office at a capable level. Create a document and do basic formatting, insert page breaks, create headers or footers, and insert graphics, create automatically generated tables of contents and merge form letters from a database of addresses (usually in Excel). Create auto-calculating spreadsheets, create images, and sort and filter data tables.
- Communicate verbal instructions
Communicate transparent instructions. Ensure that messages are understood and followed correctly.
- Disseminate internal communications
Disseminate internal communications using the different communication channels that a company has at its disposal.
- Greet guests
Welcome guests in a friendly manner in a certain place.
- Maintain logbooks
Maintain the required logbooks according to practice and in established formats.
- Maintain reception area
Take care to organise and maintain the reception area to keep up appearances for incoming guests and visitors.
- Administer appointments
Accept, schedule and cancel appointments.
- Communicate with customers
Respond to and communicate with customers in the most efficient and appropriate manner to enable them to access the desired products or services, or any other help they may require.
- Disseminate messages to people
Receive, process, and pass messages to people coming from phone calls, faxes, postal, and emails.