Profession Sales assistant, all other
Shop sales assistants sell goods to customers in retail establishments.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Conventional
Tasks sales assistant, all other
- Greet customers and ascertain what they require.
- Advise customers, e.g. on the location, availability, selection, price, delivery, use and care of merchandise.
- Tabulate and total sales bills, and receive and process cash or credit payments.
- Package merchandise for customers and arrange delivery if necessary.
- Take special orders for items not currently in stock, and notify customers when the goods have arrived.
- Handle returns and exchanges, and deal with customer complaints.
- Price, arrange and display merchandise, and keep the shop tidy and attractive.
- Perform cash till tasks at the beginning or end of day, e.g. count money, separate charge slips, coupons and vouchers, balance cash drawers, and make deposits to cash office.
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Assist with stocktaking, product selection, ordering items and receiving deliveries.
Related professions shop sales assistant
- First line shop supervisor, all other
- Sales assistant agricultural retail, pets and flowers
- Sales assistant clothing, leatherwear
- Sales assistant construction equipments or components
- Sales assistant consumer electronics, household equipment
- Sales assistant drugstore
- Sales assistant food, beverages, tobacco products
- Sales assistant jewellery, luxury goods
- Sales assistant newspapers, books, music, videos, games
- Sales assistant sporting equipments, leisure products