Profession sales representative
Sales representatives sell goods or services (of the company they represent) to customers, e.g. industry, business and professional establishments, and wholesale or retail outlets.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Conventional
- Conventional / Enterprising
Tasks sales representative
- Identify potential customers e.g. by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Contact and visit potential customers.
- Maintain and develop relationships with existing customers.
- Give presentations, demonstrate products and show samples or catalogues.
- Discuss customer requirements and advise them on the capabilities and limitations of the goods or services being sold, and make recommendations.
- Quote prices, credit or contracts terms, warranties, delivery dates and other bid specifications, and prepare sales contracts for orders obtained.
- Negotiate prices and terms of sales and service agreements.
- Arrange for delivery and installation of goods and provision of services, if appropriate.
- Handle customer complaints and resolve any problems.
- Maintain records of customers and sales.
- Stay abreast of advances in product or field, and monitor market conditions and competitors' activities.
- Collaborate with colleagues, e.g. to exchange information about selling strategies, sales trends, or to make suggestions about new products or improvements to existing products.
Related professions support services (internal)
- Advertising clerk
- Advertising department manager
- Buyer agricultural products
- Buyer technical products
- Catering worker
- Cleaning supervisor
- Cost estimator
- Education administrator
- Financial department manager
- Human resources officer
- IT user support technician
- Land surveyor
- Logistics worker
- Marketing department manager
- Marketing professional
- Office clerk
- Personnel department manager
- Personnel planning clerk
- Production or operations manager
- Public relations department manager
- Public relations officer, advisor
- Purchasing department manager
- Receptionist, telephonist
- Sales department manager
- Sales representative agricultural products
- Sales representative technical products
- Sales representative, all other products
- Technical illustrator
- Transport clerk
- Transport scheduling clerk
- Writer of technical texts