Statisticians conduct research and improve or develop statistical concepts, theories and operational methods and techniques and advise on or engage in their practical application in such fields as engineering, business and social and other sciences.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Conventional / Investigative
- Investigative / Conventional
Related professions research
- Market researcher
- Researcher agriculture, nature, animals, environment sciences
- Researcher computer sciences and mathematics
- Researcher economics, business and management sciences
- Researcher engineering, transport and logistic sciences
- Researcher health sciences
- Researcher humanities
- Researcher journalism, media and communication
- Researcher law and public administration
- Researcher leisure, hospitality and gastronomy
- Researcher natural and life sciences
- Researcher psychology, pedagogic subjects
- Researcher social work
- Researcher, all other subjects
- Statistical data manager
- Statistical technician
- University researcher
The study of statistical theory, methods and practices such as collection, organisation, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data. It deals with all aspects of data including the planning of data collection in terms of the design of surveys and experiments in order to forecast and plan work-related activities.
- Scientific research methodology
The theoretical methodology used in scientific research involving doing background research, constructing an hypothesis, testing it, analysing data and concluding the results.
Mathematics is the study of topics such as quantity, structure, space, and change. It involves the identification of patterns and formulating new conjectures based on them. Mathematicians strive to prove the truth or falsity of these conjectures. There are many fields of mathematics, some of which are widely used for practical applications.
- Data quality assessment
The process of revealing data issues using quality indicators, measures and metrics in order to plan data cleansing and data enrichment strategies according to data quality criteria.
- Statistical analysis system software
Specific software system (SAS) used for advanced analytics, business intelligence, data management, and predictive analytics.
- Identify statistical patterns
Analyse statistical data in order to find patterns and trends in the data or between variables.
- Conduct quantitative research
Execute a systematic empirical investigation of observable phenomena via statistical, mathematical or computational techniques.
- Think analytically
Produce thoughts using logic and reasoning in order to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Apply statistical analysis techniques
Use models (descriptive or inferential statistics) and techniques (data mining or machine learning) for statistical analysis and ICT tools to analyse data, uncover correlations and forecast trends.
- Gather data
Extract exportable data from multiple sources.
- Apply scientific methods
Apply scientific methods and techniques to investigate phenomena, by acquiring new knowledge or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.
- Perform data analysis
Collect data and statistics to test and evaluate in order to generate assertions and pattern predictions, with the aim of discovering useful information in a decision-making process.
- Process data
Enter information into a data storage and data retrieval system via processes such as scanning, manual keying or electronic data transfer in order to process large amounts of data.
- Execute analytical mathematical calculations
Apply mathematical methods and make use of calculation technologies in order to perform analyses and devise solutions to specific problems.
Optional knowledge and skillsbiometrics develop statistical software manage database provide lesson materials algorithms conduct public surveys market research information confidentiality present reports set theory carry out statistical forecasts assist scientific research write research proposals advise on legislative acts develop scientific theories develop financial statistics reports plan research process deliver visual presentation of data perform scientific research demography analyse big data build predictive models prepare lesson content opinion poll write scientific papers design questionnaires advise on financial matters
Common job titles
- Data scientist / statistician / economist
- Data scientist/quantitative analyst, engineering
- Data scientist
- Biostatistician i
- Staff fellow (mathematical statistician), rg-1529-00
- Sr. principal biostatistician - remote
- Analytical consultant (virtual)
- Statistician i
- Biostatistician i