Surgeons treat diseases, injuries, and deformities by invasive methods, such as manual manipulation or by using instruments and appliances.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Investigative / Realistic
- Investigative / Social
- Analyze patient's medical history, medication allergies, physical condition, and test results to verify the necessity of operation's necessity and to select the best procedure.
- Operate on patients to correct deformities, repair injuries, prevent and treat diseases, or improve or restore patient's' functions.
- Follow established surgical techniques during operation.
- Prescribe preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures.
- Examine patient to provide information about medical condition and surgical risk.
- Direct and coordinate activities of nurses, assistants, specialists, residents and other medical staff.
- Provide consultation and surgical assistance to other physicians and surgeons.
- Refer patient to medical specialist or other practitioners when necessary.
- Examine instruments, equipment, and operating room to ensure sterility.
- Keep records of performed operations and attend lessons' learnt meetings.
Related professions medical specialist
- Company doctor
- Dentist, dentist surgeon
- General practitioner
- Hospital manager
- Hygienist, health officer
- Manager, all other health services
- Medical practitioner, all other specialists
- Optical specialist
- Plastic surgeon
- Skin specialist