Profession Swimming instructor
Swimming instructors teach swimming and organise recreational activities to individuals and groups of all ages and abilities in indoor and outdoor swimming pools.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
Tasks swimming instructor
- Initiate, coordinate and hold swimming lessons to individuals and groups using various teaching methods and instructional material.
- Initiate, coordinate and guide recreational activities at the swimming facility for various groups (e.g. toddlers, pre-school children, elderly, disabled).
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons and activities, and communicate objectives to the participants.
- Explain and demonstrate swimming and training techniques to participants.
- Monitor and evaluate the progress of participants and adjust the teaching programme when necessary.
- Supervise swimmers and visitors to ensure their safety.
- Prevent injuries and dangerous situations and take action when they occur, e.g. by providing first aid.
- Answer the questions of visitors, parents, swimmers, etc., and give information e.g. about facilities, activities, merchandise and participants' progress.
- Check and record the water quality, air and water temperature, etc.
- Make sure the swimming pool, locker rooms, showers, etc. are clean and tidy.
Related professions sports
- Fitness instructor
- Golf caddie
- Instructor, all other sports
- Outdoor adventure guide
- Professional sportsperson
- Recreation program worker for sports
- Ski instructor
- Sports agent
- Sports centre manager
- Sports coach, trainer
- Sports official
- Sports referee
- Ticket collector