Profession Veterinary practitioner
Veterinarians diagnose and treat sickness, disease and injury in all types of animals, and advise on preventative action.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Investigative / Realistic
Tasks veterinary practitioner
- Examine animals to detect and determine the nature of diseases, disorders or injuries.
- Carry out diagnostic tests, such as x-rays, blood samples and ultrasound, and interpret the results.
- Treat sick or injured animals, e.g. by prescribing and administering medication, setting bones, dressing wounds, or administering anaesthetics and performing surgery.
- Perform routine medical tests and checks, and inoculate animals against various diseases such as rabies and distemper.
- Euthanize animals.
- Advise animal owners regarding sanitary measures, feeding and general care necessary to promote the health of animals.
- Educate the public, e.g. about diseases that can be spread from animals to humans.
- Train and supervise workers who handle and care for animals.
- Inspect hygiene and care standards in animal quarters, e.g. farms, zoos, kennels, riding stables, pet shops, cattle markets, animal shows and sporting events.
- Maintain records, and provide reports and certificates in compliance with current legislation.
- Manage practice finances, marketing and staff recruitment.
- Conduct research in animal health and related areas.
Related professions livestock
- Agricultural advisor
- Arable farm manager, field crop or vegetable
- Arable farmer manager, mixed crop
- Artificial inseminator
- Cattle breeder
- Cattle station helper
- Dairy producer
- Livestock breeder, all other
- Livestock dealer
- Livestock farm manager
- Livestock farm worker
- Livestock farmer
- Livestock machinery installer
- Livestock machinery mechanic
- Pig breeder
- Poultry producer
- Quality inspector cattle, meat, fish
- Subsistence livestock farmer
- Veterinarian inspector
- Veterinarian, all other
- Veterinary aid
- Veterinary technician
- Veterinary vaccinator