Profession Veterinary practitioner
Veterinarians diagnose and treat sickness, disease and injury in all types of animals, and advise on preventative action.
Veterinary practitioner Jobs: Open positions
Find the job of your dreams on Talent.com, one of the largest job sites worldwide.Job postings: talent.com
Tasks veterinary practitioner
- Examine animals to detect and determine the nature of diseases, disorders or injuries.
- Carry out diagnostic tests, such as x-rays, blood samples and ultrasound, and interpret the results.
- Treat sick or injured animals, e.g. by prescribing and administering medication, setting bones, dressing wounds, or administering anaesthetics and performing surgery.
- Perform routine medical tests and checks, and inoculate animals against various diseases such as rabies and distemper.
- Euthanize animals.
- Advise animal owners regarding sanitary measures, feeding and general care necessary to promote the health of animals.
- Educate the public, e.g. about diseases that can be spread from animals to humans.
- Train and supervise workers who handle and care for animals.
- Inspect hygiene and care standards in animal quarters, e.g. farms, zoos, kennels, riding stables, pet shops, cattle markets, animal shows and sporting events.
- Maintain records, and provide reports and certificates in compliance with current legislation.
- Manage practice finances, marketing and staff recruitment.
- Conduct research in animal health and related areas.
Related professions livestock
- Agricultural advisor
- Arable farm manager, field crop or vegetable
- Arable farmer manager, mixed crop
- Artificial inseminator
- Cattle breeder
- Cattle station helper
- Dairy producer
- Livestock breeder, all other
- Livestock dealer
- Livestock farm manager
- Livestock farm worker
- Livestock farmer
- Livestock machinery installer
- Livestock machinery mechanic
- Pig breeder
- Poultry producer
- Quality inspector cattle, meat, fish
- Subsistence livestock farmer
- Veterinarian inspector
- Veterinarian, all other
- Veterinary aid
- Veterinary technician
- Veterinary vaccinator
Source: Sisyphus ODB