Profession waiting staff
Waiters or waitresses take orders, serve food and beverages to customers, prepare checks and handle payments in dining establishments, e.g. restaurants, hotels and clubs.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Social / Enterprising
- Social / Realistic
Tasks waiting staff
- Set tables, e.g. with clean linen, cutlery, crockery and glasses.
- Welcome and seat customers and hand menus to them.
- Inform customers about daily specials, answer questions about menu and make recommendations upon request.
- Take food and beverage orders from customers.
- Memorise, write down or enter customers' orders into computers, and pass orders to kitchen and bar staff.
- Serve food and beverages to customers.
- Prepare or serve speciality dishes at tables as required.
- Check with customers that they are contented and handle any problems.
- Prepare bills, present them to customers and handle money or credit card payments.
- Prepare the restaurant for special events (e.g. weddings), by getting tables, chairs, glasses, etc. ready.
- Clear and clean tables or counters, e.g. by carrying plates, glasses and cutlery to the kitchen for washing up.
Related professions food server
- Counter attendant cafeteria, lunchroom
- Counter attendant snack counter
- First line supervisor food servicing workers
- Food server (not in restaurants)
- Food server restaurant