Profession web developer
Web designers develop and design web applications and web sites. Create and specify architectural and technical parameters. Direct web site content creation, enhancement and maintenance.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
Tasks web developer
- Draw up a design plan, incorporating technical considerations, such as budgets, equipment, performance requirements, or legal issues including accessibility and privacy, and analyze user needs to determine technical requirements.
- Create web site structure.
- Develop system interaction or sequence diagrams.
- Select programming language(s)
- Build web sites using authoring or scripting languages, content creation tools, management tools and digital media.
- Write, design and edit web page content.
- Direct others who produce web content.
- Research, document, rate and select alternatives for web architecture or technologies.
- Implement and test web sites.
- Maintain web sites.
Related professions internet
- Web journalist
- Web master, web manager
- Web programmer
- Web technician
- ICT debugging tools
The ICT tools used to test and debug programs and software code, such as GNU Debugger (GDB), Intel Debugger (IDB), Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger, Valgrind and WinDbg.
- World Wide Web Consortium standards
The standards, technical specifications and guidelines developed by the international organisation World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) which allow the design and development of web applications.
- Tools for software configuration management
The software programs to perform configuration identification, control, status accounting and audit, such as CVS, ClearCase, Subversion, GIT and TortoiseSVN perform this management.
- Style sheet languages
The field of computer language that conveys the presentation of structured documents such as Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). These documents have to adhere to style sheets, a set of stylistic rules such as font, color and layout.
- Computer programming
The techniques and principles of software development, such as analysis, algorithms, coding, testing and compiling of programming paradigms (e.g. object oriented programming, functional programming) and of programming languages.
- Web programming
- Integrated development environment software
The suite of software development tools for writing programs, such as compiler, debugger, code editor, code highlights, packaged in a unified user interface, such as Visual Studio or Eclipse.
- Content development processes
The specialised techniques used to design, write, compile, edit and organise digital content, such as text, graphics and videos for publishing purposes.
- Use markup languages
Utilise computer languages that are syntactically distinguishable from the text to add annotations to a document, specify layout and process types of documents such as HTML.
- Use software design patterns
Utilise reusable solutions, formalised best practices, to solve common ICT development tasks in software development and design.
- Translate requirement concepts into visual design
Develop visual design from given specifications and requirements, based on the analysis of the scope and target audience. Create a visual representation of ideas such as logos, website graphics, digital games and layouts.
- Provide technical documentation
Prepare documentation for existing and upcoming products or services, describing their functionality and composition in such a way that it is understandable for a wide audience without technical background and compliant with defined requirements and standards. Keep documentation up to date.
- Use software libraries
Utilise collections of codes and software packages which capture frequently used routines to help programmers simplify their work.
- Collect customer feedback on applications
Gather a response and analyse data from customers to identify requests or problems in order to improve applications and overall customer satisfaction.
- Develop software prototype
Create a first incomplete or preliminary version of a piece of software application to simulate some specific aspects of the final product.
- Create flowchart diagram
Compose a diagram that illustrates systematic progress through a procedure or system using connecting lines and a set of symbols.
- Implement front-end website design
Develop website layout and enhance user experience based on provided design concepts.
- Analyse software specifications
Assess the specifications of a software product or system to be developed by identifying functional and non-functional requirements, constraints and possible sets of use cases which illustrate interactions between the software and its users.
- Interpret technical texts
Read and understand technical texts that provide information on how to perform a task, usually explained in steps.
- Debug software
Repair computer code by analysing testing results, locating the defects causing the software to output an incorrect or unexpected result and removing these faults.