Profession Animal carer (not in farms)
Non-farm animal caretakers feed, water, groom, exercise, monitor or otherwise care for pets, zoo animals and other non-farm animals. May keep records of animals and clean animal quarters.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
Tasks animal carer (not in farms)
- Prepare food, and feed and water animals, e.g. according to schedules and feeding instructions.
- Clean, organize and disinfect animal quarters such as pens, stables, cages and yards, and animal equipment such as saddles and bridles, and change animal bedding.
- Perform animal grooming duties such as washing, brushing, clipping, trimming coats, cutting nails, cleaning ears and treating animals with insecticides.
- Exercise, train, handle and play with animals.
- Respond to questions from visitors or animal owners, and provide information to them about animals, such as behavior, habitat and breeding habits, or facility activities.
- Answer telephones and schedule appointments, e.g. with animal owners.
- Examine, observe and monitor animals to detect signs of illness, disease or injury.
- Provide treatment to sick or injured animals, or contact veterinarians to secure treatment.
- Collect and record animal information such as weight, size, physical condition, behavior, treatments received, medications given and food intake.
- Transfer animals between enclosures, search for and capture stray animals.
- Assist other professionals (e.g. veterinarians or scientists), e.g. in animal laboratory tests, with humane killing of animals and handling of dead animals.
- Order, unload and store feed and supplies.
Related professions animal husbandry
- Animal home manager
- Animal trainer
- Fur animals farm worker
- Fur animals farmer
- Horse breeder
- Horse riding centre manager
- Horse riding instructor
- Laboratory animals carer
- Pest controller
- Pet animal breeder
- Stable groom
- Stable master