Profession Arable farmer, field crop or vegetable
Field crop or vegetable growers plan, direct, coordinate and perform farming operations to grow field crops, such as grain and vegetables.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Realistic
- Realistic / Conventional
Tasks arable farmer, field crop or vegetable
- Develop annual business plans and determine types and quantities of crops to be grown, according to factors such as market conditions, governmental support and soil conditions.
- Prepare soil (e.g. plough, harrow) by hand or machine, and spread fertilisers and manure.
- Select and sow seeds, and plant seedlings.
- Maintain crops e.g. by cultivating soil, by transplanting, pruning or thinning plants, and by setting up and operating irrigation equipment.
- Control weeds, pests and diseases e.g. by applying weedkillers and pesticides commensurate with hygiene and health standards.
- Harvest crops and destroy diseased or superfluous crops.
- Inspect, clean, grade, sort, package, store and load crops for marketing.
- Evaluate product marketing alternatives, establish market strategies, promote and market products, and organise the sale and transportation of products.
- Recruit, coordinate and direct farm workers.
- Keep inventory, and purchase supplies.
- Maintain farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems.
- Perform administration duties, including keeping financial records, and managing budgets and accounts.
Related professions agriculture
- Agricultural inspector
- Agricultural machinery installer
- Agricultural machinery mechanic
- Agricultural scientist
- Agricultural substitute
- Agricultural technician
- Arable farm helper, field crop or vegetable
- Arable farm helper, mixed crop
- Arable farm worker, field crop or vegetable
- Arable farmer, mixed crop
- Arable farmer, mixed crop and animal
- First line supervisor tree or shrup crop farming workers
- Fruit, nut or tea picker
- Harvest hand
- Horticultural or nursery production manager
- Land clearer
- Motorised farm equipment operator
- Quality inspector agricultural products
- Subsistence crop farmer
- Subsistence mixed crop or livestock farmer
- Supervisor arable farm workers, field crop or vegetable
- Tree or shrub crop farm manager
- Tree or shrub crop farmer
- Tree or shrub crop helper
- Tree or shrup crop worker
- Vegetable picker