Profession Car mechanic
Car mechanics repair, maintain and service (components of) vehicles
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Realistic / Conventional
- Realistic / Enterprising
- Realistic / Investigative
Tasks car mechanic
- Examine vehicles to determine extent of damage or faults and to estimate repair costs.
- Confer with customers to obtain descriptions of vehicle problems, and to discuss work to be performed.
- Inspect vehicles ensuring all important parts are examined, including belts, hoses, steering systems, spark plugs, brake and fuel systems, wheel bearings, etc.
- Test components and systems, using suitable equipment such as compression gauges.
- Plan work procedures.
- Repair, replace or adjust worn and faulty parts using suitable tools and equipment.
- Perform routine and scheduled maintenance services such as oil changes, lubrications, etc.
- Test and adjust repaired parts or assemblies to make sure they work properly.
- Carry out minor body and trim repairs.
Related professions cars
- Automotive body repairer
- Automotive glass installer or repairer
- Bus mechanic
- Car seller
- Car tyres mechanic
- Cars and other vehicles inspector
- Diesel engine mechanic
- Engineering maintenance supervisor
- Garage receptionist
- Garage supervisor
- Motor-vehicle engine fitter
- Motorcycle mechanic
- Rental clerk road or water vehicles
- Road vehicles loader
- Truck mechanic
- Vehicle patrolman/woman
- Vehicle spray painter
- Vehicle upholsterer