Profession filing clerk
Filing clerks file correspondence, cards, invoices, receipts and other records in alphabetical or numerical order or according to the filing system used. They locate and remove material from file when requested.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Conventional / Realistic
- Realistic / Conventional
Tasks filing clerk
- Keep records of materials (documents, correspondence, medical or other records) filed using e.g. computers or logbooks.
- Add new material to file records and create new records as necessary.
- Gather relevant materials to be filed, e.g. from departments and employees.
- Examine incoming materials in order to determine how and where they should be classified or filed.
- Sort or classify information according to guidelines such as content, purpose, user criteria or chronological, alphabetical or numerical order.
- Assign and record or stamp identification numbers or codes in order to index materials for filing.
- Find and retrieve information from files in response to requests from authorized users, and lend, copy or duplicate documents or other records if necessary.
- Track materials removed from files in order to ensure that borrowed files are returned.
- Organize the storage of materials (e.g. in filing cabinets, boxes, storage media) according to classification and identification information.
- Remove old material from file records conforming to compulsory periods of record-keeping.
- Perform general office duties such as typing, operating office machines and sorting mail.
Related professions clerk
- Administrative services department manager
- Bills clerk
- Bookkeeping clerk
- Brokerage clerk
- Clerk, all other
- Coding clerk
- Counter clerk
- Credit clerk
- First line supervisor of office clerks
- Form filling assistance clerk
- Freight clerk
- Insurance clerk
- Invoice clerk
- Marketing clerk
- Materials scheduling clerk
- Mortgage clerk
- New accounts clerk
- Order clerk
- Order scheduling clerk
- Payroll clerk
- Personnel clerk
- Procurement clerk
- Production planning clerk
- Sales support clerk
- Secretary clerk
- Statistical clerk
- Stock clerk, warehouse clerk
- Weighing clerk