Profession Gardener, all other
Gardeners plant and maintain public or private gardens and lawns, and construct garden features.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
Tasks gardener, all other
- Prepare the ground, e.g. prepare soil, install drainage, and level the ground.
- Plant trees, hedges, garden plants, grass, etc.
- Construct features and facilities within gardens, such as paths or paved areas, walls, rockeries, ponds and water features, sheds and fences.
- Check the health of plants and trees, identify and treat weeds, pests and diseases, and apply mulch and fertilisers.
- Prune and trim trees, shrubs and hedges, and install plant supports and protection.
- Roll, mow, aerate and edge lawns.
- Raise plants from seeds or cuttings.
- Install, operate and maintain irrigation systems.
- Tidy garden areas (e.g. pathways), for example by clearing leaves, snow and litter.
- Maintain and repair gardening tools, equipment and structures.
- Advise clients on garden maintenance and answer questions.
Related professions horticulture, gardening
- First line supervisor horticultural nursery gardeners
- Floral arranger
- Flower binder
- Garden architect
- Garden helper
- Gardener (cemetery)
- Gardener (public parks)
- Greenkeeper sports grounds
- Head groundsman
- Horticultural grower
- Horticultural technician
- Horticultural worker
- Landscape architect