Profession kitchen assistant
Kitchen helpers assist cooking and kitchen staff in restaurants, hotels, catering firms, canteens, etc., for example by preparing food and dishes and by cleaning the kitchen.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Realistic / Conventional
Tasks kitchen assistant
- Assist cooks in preparing food (e.g. wash and peel fruit and vegetables, cut bread and meat).
- Measure and mix ingredients, e.g. by using scales and measuring jugs.
- Prepare dishes for serving.
- Prepare simple food such as sauces, dressings, sandwiches, soups, desserts, etc.
- Monitor supplies and inform the supervisor when more need to be ordered.
- Unpack and store supplies in refrigerators, cupboards and other storage areas.
- Keep the work area clean (e.g. by cleaning work surfaces, kitchen equipment, cupboards and appliances).
- Keep the kitchen clean (e.g. by sweeping and mopping floors and removing rubbish).
- Rinse and wash dishes and store them appropriately (e.g. in cupboards, drawers, etc.).
Related professions catering
- Catering manager
- Fast food cook
- Fast-food branch manager
- First line supervisor food preparation workers
- Food deliverer
- Food preparation worker
- Kitchen manager
- Carry out stock rotation
Execute repositioning of packaged and perishable products with an earlier sell-by date to the front of a shelf.
- Maintain customer service
Keep the highest possible customer service and make sure that the customer service is at all times performed in a professional way. Help customers or participants feel at ease and support special requirements.
- Use food cutting tools
Trim, peel and slice products with knives, paring or food cutting tools or equipment according to guidelines.
- Work in a hospitality team
Function confidently within a group in hospitality services, in which each has his own responsibility in reaching a common goal which is a good interaction with the customers, guests or collaborators and their contentment.
- Comply with food safety and hygiene
Respect optimal food safety and hygiene during preparation, manufacturing, processing, storage, distribution and delivery of food products.
- Use food preparation techniques
Apply food preparation techniques including the selecting, washing, cooling, peeling, marinating, preparing of dressings and cutting of ingredients.
- Receive kitchen supplies
Accept the delivery of ordered kitchen supplies and make sure everything is included and in good condition.
- Monitor kitchen supplies
Oversee stock levels for supplies used in the kitchen. Report to the appropriate person.
- Clean kitchen equipment
Disinfect kitchen equipment, utensils and other facilities such as trolleys and hot cupboards.
- Monitor stock level
Evaluate how much stock is used and determine what should be ordered.
- Ensure cleanliness of food preparation area
Guarantee the continuous cleanliness of kitchen preparation, production and storage areas according to hygiene, safety and health regulations.
- Dispose waste
Dispose waste in accordance with legislation, thereby respecting environmental and company responsibilities.
- Work according to recipe
Perform tasks in food preparation according to recipe or specification in order to preserve the quality of ingredients and to ensure replication accuracy of the recipe. Select the appropriate materials to follow the recipe, taking into account the current situation.
- Comply with standard portion sizes
Adhere to set portion sizes by cooking meals according to standard food portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
Preserve health, hygiene, safety and security in the workplace in accordance with relevant regulations.
- Handle chemical cleaning agents
Ensure proper handling, storage and disposal of cleaning chemicals in accordance with regulations.
- Handover the food preparation area
Leave the kitchen area in conditions which follow safe and secure procedures, so that it is ready for the next shift.
- Clean surfaces
Disinfect surfaces in accordance with sanitary standards.
- Store kitchen supplies
Keep delivered kitchen supplies for future use safely and hygienically according to guidelines.