Profession Lathe setter-operator
The lathe or turning machine tool setter-operators set up, operate or tend lathes and turning machines to turn, bore, thread, form or face metal materials.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Realistic / Conventional
- Realistic / Investigative
Tasks lathe setter-operator
- Read and interpret technical documentation.
- Plan and set up (the sequence of) operations according to written specifications, tooling or other instructions.
- Determine and select materials according to job requirements.
- Start the lathe or turning machine.
- Monitor the machinery during its operation, e.g. to ensure specifications are met and to detect faults and defects.
- Adjust machine controls and change tool settings if necessary, e.g. in order to keep dimensions within specified tolerances.
- Inspect sample workpieces to verify conformity to specifications using instruments such as gauges, micrometers, dial indicators, etc.
- Lift metal stock or workpieces manually or using hoists, and position and secure them in machines.
- Replace worn tools, and sharpen blunt cutting tools and dies, e.g. using bench grinders or cutter-grinding machines.
- Maintain the lathe or turning machine.
- Examine quality of formed metal products to detect any defects.
- Report any problems to their supervisors.
Related professions machine operator
- Boiler operator
- Bridge operator
- Cable car operator
- Canal or port lock-keeper
- Cement, stone or other mineral products machine operator
- Chair-lift operator
- Control-room equipment operator
- Conveyer operator
- Crane operator (in construction)
- Crane operator (in port)
- Crushing machine operator
- Donkey engine operator
- Fibre-preparing-, spinning- or winding machine operator
- First line supervisor machine operators industrial production, manufacture, metal
- First line supervisor machine operators transport, logistics, port, airport
- First line supervisor, all other machine operators
- Hoist operator
- Machine tool setter or machine tool setter-operator
- Magnetic ore processing machine operator
- Metal driller and metal borer
- Mineral ore and stone processing plant operators
- Production machine operator, all other
- Ropeway or aerial operator
- Sluice or dock operator
- Stationary plant and machine operator, all other
- Transmitting equipment operator
- Winch operator