Profession Lathe setter-operator
The lathe or turning machine tool setter-operators set up, operate or tend lathes and turning machines to turn, bore, thread, form or face metal materials.
Lathe setter-operator Jobs: Open positions
Find the job of your dreams on Talent.com, one of the largest job sites worldwide.Job postings: talent.com
Tasks lathe setter-operator
- Read and interpret technical documentation.
- Plan and set up (the sequence of) operations according to written specifications, tooling or other instructions.
- Determine and select materials according to job requirements.
- Start the lathe or turning machine.
- Monitor the machinery during its operation, e.g. to ensure specifications are met and to detect faults and defects.
- Adjust machine controls and change tool settings if necessary, e.g. in order to keep dimensions within specified tolerances.
- Inspect sample workpieces to verify conformity to specifications using instruments such as gauges, micrometers, dial indicators, etc.
- Lift metal stock or workpieces manually or using hoists, and position and secure them in machines.
- Replace worn tools, and sharpen blunt cutting tools and dies, e.g. using bench grinders or cutter-grinding machines.
- Maintain the lathe or turning machine.
- Examine quality of formed metal products to detect any defects.
- Report any problems to their supervisors.
Related professions machine operator
- Boiler operator
- Bridge operator
- Cable car operator
- Canal or port lock-keeper
- Cement, stone or other mineral products machine operator
- Chair-lift operator
- Control-room equipment operator
- Conveyer operator
- Crane operator (in construction)
- Crane operator (in port)
- Crushing machine operator
- Donkey engine operator
- Fibre-preparing-, spinning- or winding machine operator
- First line supervisor machine operators industrial production, manufacture, metal
- First line supervisor machine operators transport, logistics, port, airport
- First line supervisor, all other machine operators
- Hoist operator
- Machine tool setter or machine tool setter-operator
- Magnetic ore processing machine operator
- Metal driller and metal borer
- Mineral ore and stone processing plant operators
- Production machine operator, all other
- Ropeway or aerial operator
- Sluice or dock operator
- Stationary plant and machine operator, all other
- Transmitting equipment operator
- Winch operator
Source: Sisyphus ODB