Profession meat preparations operator
Meat processing machine operators perform a wide range of tasks in the process by which animal carcasses are converted into manageable pieces of meat, including slaughtering and processing livestock, operating processing and rendering equipment, despatching products and keeping records.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Realistic / Conventional
Tasks meat preparations operator
- Slaughter animals.
- Prepare carcasses for cutting, e.g. by cleaning and removing parts (organs, skin, feathers, bones, etc.).
- Cut carcasses for further processing.
- Separate meat and by-products.
- Inspect meat products for defects, bruises or blemishes and remove them along with any excess fat.
- Process prime parts into cuts that are ready for retail use, e.g. using knives, cleavers, meat saws, bandsaws or other equipment.
- Pack final products.
- Check products to ensure they are up to standards.
- Monitor machines and equipment, and adjust if necessary.
- Maintain and clean machines used in meat preparing process.
Related professions meat, fish
- First line supervisor meat or fish manufacturing workers
- Fish filleter, cutter, packer
- Fish products machine operator
- Meat products machine operator
- Meat products maker
- Meat products packer
- Meat slaughterer or deboner
- Sausage maker
- Food storage
The proper conditions and methods to store food to keep it from spoiling, taking into account humidity, light, temperature and other environmental factors.
- Typology of meat parts
Typology of meat parts in terms of nutrients, handling processes, way of cutting and managing, and preparations and ingredients that potentiate the taste.
- Animal anatomy for food production
The anatomy of animals, their organs and their functions, as well as the usage of these organs for food production after slaughtering.
- Operate meat processing equipment
Operate meat processing equipment for meat preparations and prepared meat products.
- Weigh parts of animal carcasses
After cutting and deboning, weigh the prepared parts of meat for the next process in the manufacturing of meat products or for direct selling. Tag containers for weight and contents.
- Maintain cutting equipment
Maintenance of the cutting equipment (knives, cutters, and other elements).
- Maintain food specifications
Preserve, review, and evaluate existing food specifications such as recipes.
- Be at ease in unsafe environments
Be at ease in unsafe environments like being exposed to dust, rotating equipment, hot surfaces, sub-freezing and cold storage areas, noise, wet floors and moving lift equipment.
- Handle meat processing equipment in cooling rooms
Push and put carcasses in and out the cooling room as specified. Use equipment specific to this room to handle meat and meat products.
- Tend meat packaging machine
Use machinery to package meat products under modified atmosphere, extending its shelf life.
- Tolerate strong smells
Tolerate strong smells expelled by the goods being processed during the production of goods.
- Apply HACCP
Apply regulations regarding manufacture of food and food safety compliance. Employ food safety procedures based on Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP).
- Inspect raw materials for muscle food processing
Inspect raw materials required for the production process, assessing quality and hidden flaws. Verify the origin of the raw materials using the sector defined documents, stamps or marks.
- Ensure sanitation
Keep workspaces and equipment free from dirt, infection, and disease by removing waste, trash and providing for appropriate cleaning.
- Execute chilling processes to food products
Carry out chilling, freezing and cooling operation processes to food products such as fruit and vegetables, fish, meat, catering food. Prepare food products for extended periods of storage or half prepared food. Ensure safety and nutrition qualities of frozen goods and preserve products in accordance with specified temperatures.
- Mark differences in colours
The ability to mark or detect differences between colours, including shades of colour and brightness.
- Ensure refrigeration of food in the supply chain
Apply different procedures to maintain the chain of temperature of foodstuffs and products in each stage of the production and supply chain.
- Adhere to organisational guidelines
Adhere to organisational or department specific standards and guidelines. Understand the motives of the organisation and the common agreements and act accordingly.
- Prepare meat for sale
Prepare meat for sale or cooking which comprise the seasoning, larding, or marinating of the meat, but not the actual cooking.
- Select adequate ingredients
Select adequate ingredients based in their technological function to execute ideas. Strive for consistent good quality of the ingredients and use them adequately to obtain a satisfactory final product.
- Prepare specialised meat products
Prepare specialised meat products, minced meat, salt-cured meat, smoked meat, and other meat preparations such as pickled meat, sausages, crumbed meat, veal olive, and chipolata.
- Apply GMP
Apply regulations regarding manufacture of food and food safety compliance. Employ food safety procedures based on Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Apply requirements concerning manufacturing of food and beverages
Apply and follow national, international, and internal requirements quoted in standards, regulations and other specifications related with manufacturing of food and beverages.
- Operate weighing machine
Work with a weighing machine to measure raw, half-finished and finished products.
- Trace meat products
Take the regulations regarding the traceability of final products within the sector into account.
- Tend meat processing production machines
Operate production equipment and tools to process meat and meat products.
- Process livestock organs
Process livestock organs and other byproducts for meat manufacturing processes. Remove organs from carcasses and perform activities such as cutting or dividing parts, washing organs, execute specific treatments, packaging, and labelling.
- Monitor freezing processes
Monitoring freezing processes to ensure product is adequately frozen. Assessing temperature levels and ensuring energy efficiency and product refrigeration.
- Clean food and beverage machinery
Clean machinery used for food or beverage production processes. Prepare the appropriate solutions for cleaning. Prepare all parts and assure that they are clean enough to avoid deviation or errors in the production process.
- Handle knives for meat processing activities
Handle knives for meat processing activities. Use the correct knives and cutting instruments for meat preparations, prepared meat products, or meat products made by a butcher.
- Grind meat
Use various types of machinery to grind animal parts into minced meat. Avoid the inclusion of bone splinters in the product. Maintain the meat grinding machine.
- Lift heavy weights
Lift heavy weights and apply ergonomic lifting techniques to avoid damaging the body.
- Follow hygienic procedures during food processing
Ensure a clean working space according to hygienic standards in the food processing industry.
- Administer ingredients in food production
Ngredients to be added and the required amounts according to the recipe and the way those ingredients are to be administered.
- Cope with blood
Cope with blood, organs, and internal parts of carcasses without feeling distressed.
- Manage packaging material
Managing all packaging materials be they primary (wrapping, cans, bottles) or secondary (cartons, crates, pallets).