Profession Meat processing operator
Meat processing machine operators perform a wide range of tasks in the process by which animal carcasses are converted into manageable pieces of meat, including slaughtering and processing livestock, operating processing and rendering equipment, despatching products and keeping records.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
Tasks meat processing operator
- Slaughter animals.
- Prepare carcasses for cutting, e.g. by cleaning and removing parts (organs, skin, feathers, bones, etc.).
- Cut carcasses for further processing.
- Separate meat and by-products.
- Inspect meat products for defects, bruises or blemishes and remove them along with any excess fat.
- Process prime parts into cuts that are ready for retail use, e.g. using knives, cleavers, meat saws, bandsaws or other equipment.
- Pack final products.
- Check products to ensure they are up to standards.
- Monitor machines and equipment, and adjust if necessary.
- Maintain and clean machines used in meat preparing process.
Related professions meat, fish
- First line supervisor meat or fish manufacturing workers
- Fish filleter, cutter, packer
- Fish products machine operator
- Meat products machine operator
- Meat products maker
- Meat products packer
- Meat slaughterer or deboner
- Sausage maker