Profession mining electrician
Mining electricians install, maintain and repair specialised electrical mining equipment using their knowledge of electrical principles. They also monitor mine electricity supply.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Realistic / Investigative
- Realistic / Conventional
The functioning of electronic circuit boards, processors, chips, and computer hardware and software, including programming and applications. Apply this knowledge to ensure electronic equipment runs smoothly.
- Electrical mine machinery manuals
Understand equipment manuals, including schematic drawings and electric circuit diagrams.
Understand the principles of electricity and electrical power circuits, as well as the associated risks.
- Train operators in using mine machinery
Demonstrate mining equipment features and functions to machine operators.
- Report mine machinery repairs
Record repair and maintenance tasks executed.
- Maintain records of mining operations
Maintain records of mine production and development performance, including performance of machinery.
- Conduct inter-shift communication
Communicate relevant information about the conditions in the workplace, progress, events, and potential problems to the workers in the next shift.
- Test mine equipment
Test newly repaired machinery or mining equipment to ensure correct operation.
Identify operating problems, decide what to do about it and report accordingly.
- Communicate mine equipment information
Communicate transparently and efficiently with mine production management and machine operators. Pass on any relevant information such as outages, efficiency and productivity of the equipment.
- Maintain electrical mine machinery
Inspect and conduct planned maintenance of electrical mining equipment. Conduct routine repairs and replace damaged components. Analyse test results and machine error messages.
- Install electrical mining machinery
Assemble and disassemble electrical mining machinery. Requires hand and eye coordination and spatial awareness.
Optional knowledge and skillshealth and safety hazards underground electrical engineering impact of geological factors on mining operations
Common job titles
- Ug maintenance electrician
- Journeyperson electrician
- Maintenance electrician
- Electrician, experienced, underground maintenance - portal mines
- Electrician 1st class
- Electrical instrumentation technician
- Wireless systems specialist