Profession motion picture film developer
Motion picture film developers develop film material into visible videos and material. They develop the footage into different formats, such as 65-70mm and 8mm, and presentations, such as black and white and colour. They work small cine-films per request of clients.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Conventional / Realistic
- Photographic processing techniques
The different techniques to develop photographic film such as chromogenic positive, Kodachrome and autotype.
- Quality standards
The national and international requirements, specifications and guidelines to ensure that products, services and processes are of good quality and fit for purpose.
- Post-processing of photographs
The characteristics of software and techniques used in post-processing photographs.
- Identify customer's needs
Use appropriate questions and active listening in order to identify customer expectations, desires and requirements according to product and services.
- Store negatives
Place the cut photographic film (negatives) into protective sleeves and store them properly.
- Handle chemicals
Safely handle industrial chemicals; use them efficiently and ensure that no harm is done to the environment.
- Develop film
Prepare tools and developing and printing equipment. Develop and print exposed film using chemicals.
- Monitor film development baths
Place the photographic film in chemical baths with e.g. citric acid and ammonium thiosulfate, monitor temperature and treatment time.
- Mount photographic film in processing machine
Mount the film in the guide slot of the processing machine, pull lever to drop film into processing position.
- Remove photographic film from camera
Remove the film from its holder in a lightproof room, or darkroom, to prevent light exposure.
- Remove film negatives from processing machine
Remove the developed photographic film, now negatives, from the machine and roll them onto a spool.
Optional knowledge and skillsperform video editing test chemicals in development baths repair photographic film cut photographic film mix chemicals dry photographic film test film processing machines clean negatives soak film in water chemistry create subtitles monitor automated machines rinse photographic film perform image editing
Common job titles
- Dwa technology - software engineer - raytracing
- Dwa technology - software engineer, production pipeline
- Dwa technology - software engineer - fx/cfx
- Dwa technology - software engineer - lighting tools
- Coordinator, acquisitions - motion picture group
- 2017 dreamworks animation effects trainee program
- Applications programmer job
- Senior software engineer
- Dwa technology - senior software engineer - anim/rig
- Software engineer