Profession Musical instrument maker
Musical instrument makers build and repair musical instruments such as pianos, string instruments, organs etc. according to traditional methods.
Musical instrument maker Jobs: Open positions
Find the job of your dreams on Talent.com, one of the largest job sites worldwide.Job postings: talent.com
Tasks musical instrument maker
- Perform an expert evaluation or valuation of a musical instrument, e.g. assess the date of construction and the builder of instrument, and estimate costs of making or repairing instruments for clients.
- Restore antique musical instruments using various techniques.
- Disassemble instruments and parts for repair and adjustment.
- Reassemble instruments after repair, e.g. using hand tools, power tools and glue, hair, yarn, resin or clamps, and lubricate instruments as necessary.
- Tune instruments.
- Repair instruments using synthetic or special materials, such as ivory or horn.
- Repair cracks in wood or metal instruments using pinning wire, lathes, fillers, clamps or soldering irons.
- Polish instruments using rags and polishing compounds, buffing wheels or burnishing tools.
- String instruments and adjust trusses and bridges to obtain specified string tensions and heights.
- Build musical instruments using various materials, such as metal, wood, synthetic and special materials (e.g. ivory, horn).
Related professions music
- Choirmaster, music conductor
- Disc jockey
- Music arranger
- Musical instrument tuner
- Sound mixer
Source: Sisyphus ODB