Profession musical instrument technician
Musical instrument technicians maintain, tune and repair musical instruments such as pianos, pipe organs, band instruments, violins and other instruments.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Enterprising / Conventional
- Realistic / Artistic
- Musical instruments
The different musical instruments, their ranges, timbre, and possible combinations.
- Musical instruments materials
The characteristics of composite materials, felts, glues, leathers and skins, metals and precious metals, woods and wood derivatives to create musical instruments.
- Tuning techniques
Tuning pitches and techniques and musical temperaments for the various instruments.
- Maintain musical instruments
Check and maintain musical instruments.
- Assemble musical instrument parts
Assemble parts together such as the body, strings, buttons, keys, and others to create the final musical instrument.
- Rewire electronic musical instruments
Rewire any lose wiring or solder any loose ends of electronic musical instruments.
- Tune stringed musical instruments
Tune any parts of stringed musical instruments that are off-key, by using various tuning techniques.
- Prevent technical problems with musical instruments
Anticipate technical problems with musical instruments and prevent them where possible. Tune and play musical instruments for sound check before rehearsal or performance.
- Restore musical instruments
Restore old musical instruments to their original condition and conserve them in that state.
- Tune keyboard music instruments
Tune any parts of keyboard musical instruments that are off-key, by using various tuning techniques.
- Identify customer's needs
Use appropriate questions and active listening in order to identify customer expectations, desires and requirements according to product and services.
- Repair musical instruments
Attach new strings, fix frames or replace broken parts of musical instruments.
Optional knowledge and skillsacoustics estimate value of musical instruments woodturning pass on trade techniques evaluate restoration procedures estimate restoration costs trade in musical instruments create musical instrument parts play musical instruments apply restoration techniques design musical instruments metalworking verify product specifications history of musical instruments decorate musical instruments musical instrument accessories organic building materials
Common job titles
- Stringed instrument support technician
- Instrumentation technician i
- Quality assurance technician - amplifier software
- Repair technician - gear
- Stringed instrument repair technician
- Adjunct college laboratory technician in music and art department
- Pro audio technician
- Exhibits technician
- Specialist, repair shop
- Guitar technician