Profession Personal carer in an institution for the handicapped
Carers for the disabled assist disabled adults with daily living activities at the person's home, or in a daytime non-residential facility; not in institutions. Duties performed at a place of residence may include keeping house (making beds, doing laundry, washing dishes) and preparing meals. May provide meals and supervised activities at non-residential care facilities. May advise families and the disabled on such things as nutrition, cleanliness, and household utilities.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Social / Realistic
- Social / Conventional
Tasks personal carer in an institution for the handicapped
- Give support to disabled patients at home, or in a day care institution with daily living tasks such as washing, dressing, eating, drinking, transport and budgeting.
- Perform housekeeping duties, such as cooking and running errands.
- Carry out health care related tasks such as monitoring vital signs (under the supervision of registered nurses and physiotherapists).
- Administer medication orally, via rectum, subcutaneously and intramuscularly.
- Transport/accompany patient to locations outside home or institution.
- Educate family to provide bedside care.
- Report changes in client's condition and the services offered.
- Create individual care programmes.
- Coordinate and arrange activities to enhance patient's physical, social, emotional and intellectual development.
- Create and maintain records of patient's progress/development and services performed.
- Consult with other health care providers about patient.
- Clean and sterilize the care equipment.
Related professions personal care
- Aged care services manager
- First line supervisor of personal care workers
- Handicapped care services manager
- Personal carer in an institution for psychiatric patients
- Personal carer in an institution for the elderly
- Personal carer in private homes
- Pharmacy assistant (semi-skilled)
- Psychiatric care services manager