Profession Pipe fitter
Pipe fitters assemble, install and maintain pipe systems, pipe supports and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, and industrial production and processing systems.
Tasks pipe fitter
- Select pipe sizes, types and related materials.
- Measure and mark pipes for cutting and threading.
- Cut, thread and hammer pipes according to specifications.
- Assemble and secure pipes, tubes, fittings and related equipment according to specifications using techniques such as welding, brazing, cementing, soldering or threading joints.
- Cut and bore holes in structures (e.g. bulkheads, decks, walls and mains) using hand and power tools.
- Attach pipes to walls, structures and fixtures using tools and equipment such as brackets, clamps or welding equipment.
- Check the work and repair and correct faults.
- Examine and test installed systems and pipe lines (e.g. using pressure gauge, hydrostatic testing, observation or other methods).
- Modify, clean and maintain pipe systems, units, fittings and related machines and equipment.
Related professions oil, gas
- Boat or derrick operator
- Boring machine operator
- First line supervisor oil or gas workers
- Gas compressor or gas pumping station operator
- Mains pipes layer-jointer
- Oil or gas geologist
- Oil or gas well driller
- Oiler, greaser
- Operator service unit oil or gas well
- Petroleum chemist
- Petroleum or natural gas refining plant operator
- Pipeline worker
- Roustabout oil or gas
- Well digger
- Well driller (not in gas and oil)
- Well service unit operator (not in gas and oil)
- Well sinker
Source: Sisyphus ODB