Profession Post sorting or distributing clerk
Post sorting or distributing clerks prepare incoming and outgoing mail for distribution.
Post sorting or distributing clerk Jobs: Open positions
Find the job of your dreams on Talent.com, one of the largest job sites worldwide.Job postings: talent.com
Tasks post sorting or distributing clerk
- Collect outgoing mail, check that items are in a suitable condition for processing and determine manner in which mail is to be sent.
- Check items to ensure that the appropriate documentation is attached and that addresses are legible and correct, and operate machines for addressing the material if necessary.
- Check that sufficient postage has been paid and, if necessary, affix postage by hand or using postmarking machines.
- Sort outgoing items according to routing schemes, bundle, label and route sorted mail to designated areas depending on destinations and according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Contact delivery or courier services to arrange delivery of letters and parcels.
- Issue receipts for the collection and delivery of registered or recorded mail and other items.
- Receive, open, check and label containers of incoming mail from large volume mailers, couriers and contractors.
- Sort, route and distribute incoming mail into correct boxes, pigeonholes etc., if necessary using sorting equipment, such as electronic mail-sorting and scanning devices.
- Check wrongly addressed, missorted, undelivered and redirected mail, search directories to find correct addresses, and process freepost and underpaid mail.
- Check the mail items in respect to damage, and in case notice any, report to supervisor.
- Prepare and maintain records and documentation of material received or despatched.
Related professions post
- Mail controller, mail machine operator
- Post office counter clerk
Source: Sisyphus ODB