Profession restaurant cook
Restaurant cooks prepare, cook and present food and plans menus in restaurants.
- Realistic / Conventional
- Artistic / Realistic
- Realistic / Enterprising
Tasks restaurant cook
- Prepare ingredients for consumption or cooking (e.g. wash, peel, cut and seed fruit and vegetables and cut meat).
- Check food quality, for example by tasting, smelling, piercing with utensils, etc.
- Weigh, measure and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgement, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Regulate the temperature of ovens, grills, roasters and other cooking equipment.
- Season and cook food according to recipes, personal judgement or experience, using a range of methods (e.g. baking, braising, frying, roasting, broiling and steaming).
- Divide food into portions and make sure it is well presented.
- Pass the dishes on to the waiters or serve to customers.
- Plan menus and estimate food requirements and costs.
- Monitor, order and receive (food) supplies, and store appropriately.
- Inspect and clean the kitchen, kitchen equipment, serving areas, etc. to ensure hygiene and health and safety.
Related professions cook
- Chef cook
- Chef de Partie
- Chinese cook
- Commis chef
- Cook, all other
- Head chef
- Indian cook
- Indonesian cook
- Institution cook
- Japanese cook
- Latin American cook
- Pastry chef
- Ship cook
- Sous chef