Profession Restaurant cook
Restaurant cooks prepare, cook and present food and plans menus in restaurants.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
Tasks restaurant cook
- Prepare ingredients for consumption or cooking (e.g. wash, peel, cut and seed fruit and vegetables and cut meat).
- Check food quality, for example by tasting, smelling, piercing with utensils, etc.
- Weigh, measure and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgement, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Regulate the temperature of ovens, grills, roasters and other cooking equipment.
- Season and cook food according to recipes, personal judgement or experience, using a range of methods (e.g. baking, braising, frying, roasting, broiling and steaming).
- Divide food into portions and make sure it is well presented.
- Pass the dishes on to the waiters or serve to customers.
- Plan menus and estimate food requirements and costs.
- Monitor, order and receive (food) supplies, and store appropriately.
- Inspect and clean the kitchen, kitchen equipment, serving areas, etc. to ensure hygiene and health and safety.
Related professions cook
- Chef cook
- Chef de Partie
- Chinese cook
- Commis chef
- Cook, all other
- Head chef
- Indian cook
- Indonesian cook
- Institution cook
- Japanese cook
- Latin American cook
- Pastry chef
- Ship cook
- Sous chef