Profession Road paviour
Road paviours prepare the surface, lay pavements (e.g., roads, paths, sidewalks) and finish the pavement.
Tasks road paviour
- Determine, depending on the local soil conditions, the amount of base materials needed and supply the materials.
- Remove old sidewalk or existing soil and excavate to the proper depth.
- Bring the surface to the proper height by adding sand.
- Apply edge restraints, gutters, gulleys and drains, and connect these to the sewer.
- Determine the paver layout pattern and create markings, e.g. for joints and stringlines.
- Cut paving stones to size, e.g. using a masonry saw or a grinding machine.
- Set pavers with different techniques and tools (e.g. hand and power tools).
- Tamp the entire paving surface in both directions until surface is smooth, for example using a mechanical plate tamper.
- Sweep sand into the joints until they are full.
- Confer with client or supervisor after job completion prior to opening to traffic.
Related professions road construction
- Asphalt roller operator
- Breaker's yard worker
- Maintenance helper
- Paving machinery or bituminous operator
- Pneumatic drill operator
- Road clearer
- Road construction helper
- Tunnelling machinery or construction operator
Source: Sisyphus ODB