Profession Tailor, seamstress
Sewers sew, join, reinforce and finish various manufactured items by hand and with sewing machines or equipment.
Tasks tailor, seamstress
- Prepare for sewing, e.g. by folding, twisting, stretching or draping material, and securing articles.
- Draw and cut patterns according to specifications.
- Measure and align the sewing work (e.g. parts, fasteners, trimmers) following seams, edges or markings on parts.
- Sew materials (e.g. to reinforce existing sewing, assemble pieces or a whole product) using different sewing techniques such as felling, tacking, embroidery, etc.
- Smooth seams, e.g. using heated irons, flat bones or rubbing sticks.
- Trim excess threads or edges of parts, e.g. using scissors or knives.
- Sew buttonholes and attach buttons, zippers, pockets, collars, trimmings, etc.
- Examine sections of finished articles for defects.
- Carry out basic maintenance of sewing tools and machines.
Related professions design
- Fashion designer
- Fashion model
- Fashion stylist, clothing advisor
- Furniture designer
- Industrial products designer
- Multimedia designer
- Package designer
Source: Sisyphus ODB