Profession transport clerk
Transport clerks organise shipping, handling, storage and transportation of goods and provide logistic services. Identify appropriate routes and means of transportation, develop schedules and take care of the formalities.
Would you like to know what kind of career and professions suit you best? Take our free Holland code career test and find out.
- Conventional / Realistic
Tasks transport clerk
- Confer with customers about services, tariffs, specific transport conditions, advisable packaging and organising freight into containers.
- Calculate costs, and provide offers for storage, insurance, etc.
- Identify and plan the most appropriate routes and means of transportation taking into account the nature of goods, costs, transit time and security.
- Carry out orders, i.e. dispose, arrange and monitor transportation and storage, and keep track of shipment through all phases of the journey.
- Develop work schedules in line with priorities, devise and schedule shipment, record shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, and damages and discrepancies, for reporting, accounting and recordkeeping purposes.
- Contact carrier representative to make arrangements and to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of goods in accordance with customer requirements.
- Obtain, prepare, issue and check transportation documents to meet customs and insurance requirements, packing specifications, and compliance with overseas countries' regulations and fiscal regimes.
- Arrange insurance and assist clients in the event of a claim (e.g. damage, loss).
- Examine shipment contents and compare with records, such as manifests, invoices or orders, to verify accuracy.
- Arrange appropriate packing and delivery or warehousing of goods at their final destination.
- Undertake clerical and administrative work.
Related professions support services (internal)
- Advertising clerk
- Advertising department manager
- Buyer agricultural products
- Buyer technical products
- Catering worker
- Cleaning supervisor
- Cost estimator
- Education administrator
- Financial department manager
- Human resources officer
- IT user support technician
- Land surveyor
- Logistics worker
- Marketing department manager
- Marketing professional
- Office clerk
- Personnel department manager
- Personnel planning clerk
- Production or operations manager
- Public relations department manager
- Public relations officer, advisor
- Purchasing department manager
- Receptionist, telephonist
- Sales department manager
- Sales representative
- Sales representative agricultural products
- Sales representative technical products
- Sales representative, all other products
- Technical illustrator
- Transport scheduling clerk
- Writer of technical texts